Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASUS Eee PC

Thanks for the updated info. Looks like I'll probably get the black 4gb surf then. I don't think I need the webcam and I can live with 30 mins less battery life I guess. Just wanted to make sure I could ugprade through the access panel.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Damn you Titus, I got a black 4G Surf the other day.

My employer has a very restrictive internet policy but free WiFi for customers, I work long hours in the dead of night & on weekends, so I'm really enjoying my 4G.

Just figured out how to get it to access WiFi on boot instead of entering my encryption keys manually all the time at home.

About 50% of the people that see it want one, they're perfect for kids or that grandma that isn't sure about the internets
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Quote Originally Posted by pliablemoose View Post
    Damn you Titus, I got a black 4G Surf the other day.

My employer has a very restrictive internet policy but free WiFi for customers, I work long hours in the dead of night & on weekends, so I'm really enjoying my 4G.

Just figured out how to get it to access WiFi on boot instead of entering my encryption keys manually all the time at home.

About 50% of the people that see it want one, they're perfect for kids or that grandma that isn't sure about the internets
    Yep. I use my wifes regularly around the house, but I'm going to have to break down and get my own because I just don't feel I'm ready to go out of the house with a pink laptop.

I think it's make a hell of a GPS unit for the car by adding a GPS puck...

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

I think it's make a hell of a GPS unit for the car by adding a GPS puck...
    Yep... There is a gooseneck mount sold for it that slips over one of the front bolts for the passenger seat... Looks like it would work well in the Miata. Mine will likely end up with XP and GPS so it can be used for ECU tuning and NAV.

If you haven't already found it, check out the forum at www.eeeuser.com. It is a very active and knowledgeable community.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Yep. I use my wifes regularly around the house, but I'm going to have to break down and get my own because I just don't feel I'm ready to go out of the house with a pink laptop.

+

= problem solved Miatamoto style. Time attack EEE PC

VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Titus,

Did you see this story?
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    Titus,

Did you see this story?
    It's one of the big reasons I have not ordered mine... that and the rumor that it will soon be available with XP preloaded.

But, those pics are bogus... they forgot to photoshop in some speakers.

ROFLMAO!!! Good one Cosmos!

BTW, that time attack PC is JDM tite yo!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    Titus,

Did you see this story?
    While I really like the idea of a larger screen & Windows XP preinstalled, the price kills it for me, the original for $300-$400 is a great deal, and there'll be lots of similar notebooks out by the end of the year.

@ $600 you can buy a half dozen notebooks that are much more full featured with built in CD/DVD drives, etc...

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

While I really like the idea of a larger screen & Windows XP preinstalled, the price kills it for me, the original for $300-$400 is a great deal, and there'll be lots of similar notebooks out by the end of the year.

@ $600 you can buy a half dozen notebooks that are much more full featured with built in CD/DVD drives, etc...
    I don't think it will be $600. What was announced by ASUS is that it will be 399 Euro. The price was introduced in Euros, because it was introduced in Europe (at CeBIT). 399 euros does convert to $614, but you need to take into account that the ASUS's pricing of the EeePC in different parts of the world is not tied to exchange rates. The current 4G model sells in the US for $399. In Germany, it lists for 300 euros. 300 euros converts to $461, or $62 more than the US price. All of the models seem to follow the same pricing difference pattern. Based on this, I'm going to bet that the new EeePC 900 is going to end up with a US price of around $550.

The 9" version with Windows XP or Linux was released today. Price is $550, I'm considering it but after checking out the 7" at microcenter the build quality really seemed like a cheap toy and I was wondering why the hell there was so much border around the screen. I guess they had to save all that room for the 9" screen down the road.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

The wife is still loving hers, and has had no problems. If they had made the 7" without the extra space around the screen, the keyboard would have been a lot smaller, and there would be less room for components and battery.

At $250, the eeePC makes a lot of sense. At $550, I can't see it. A GOOD Dell laptop like the Latitude d630 can be had for <$700. That's a 14 inch screen, 4-5 hours of battery life and an 80 Gig hard drive.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    At $250, the eeePC makes a lot of sense. At $550, I can't see it. A GOOD Dell laptop like the Latitude d630 can be had for <$700. That's a 14 inch screen, 4-5 hours of battery life and an 80 Gig hard drive.
    Unless you are buying it for the size.

Talking

Unless you are buying it for the size.
    TWSS

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    TWSS
    Come on now... I lobbed that one up there for TC!

Talking

Come on now... I lobbed that one up there for TC!
    I'm sorry.......

I'm looking into begging for one for xmas. My Laptop is a 5 year old toshiba satellite A-15. Bought it for school, and it still works fine now that I use it for work. But, it has no battery life. I enjoyed taking my laptop to starbucks, or sitting outside to forum whore......

Titus, I know you sold the pink one, but how well did it work for forum surfing and tooling around the internet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast