Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASUS Eee PC

Not to detract from the Eee pc, but for virtually the same price, there are a couple of better laptops out there now, in my opinion.

One of them is the Acer Aspire with a 120gb hard drive and 8.9" screen. It can also be picked up at your local Radio Shack or Comp USA store. Quite a few manufacturers have got on the band wagon with the ultra compact computers. Drawbacks that I see with them is that there is no CD/DVD rom drive or PC/Express card slot in these units. But compared to the $1000 I paid for my 10.6" Averatec ultra compact 3 years ago, it is a bargain. Below is the link for the Radioshack Acer:

Linkie:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I would buy THIS EeePC. 8.9" screen, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD, Windows XP, free shipping, and cheaper than the Acer at $339. I would stay away from the older EeePCs with the 7" screen... they are not that bad, but it seems silly to live with the 7 when the 8.9 is available for just a few more dollars.

only thing with that one, it has a traditional hardrive.... i wonder how that affects battery life

My 3 year old computer still gets about 2.5 to 3 hours with the traditional hard drive. When it was new, I used to get around 4 hours on a charge. Mine has a 10.6" screen and an older processor which probably has been improved for the ultra low voltage CPU's. I would think that it would be possible for the 8.9" screen to get 4-5 hours of time. Just a guess, though.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I wish my toshiba still hit those numbers. I used to get 2 to 2.5 hours on a good day... now i get 15 minutes. But, the batteries are 5 years old, and the screen is 15.4"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123