Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets

Default Helmets

Hey guys,
    I dunno how many of you might be looking for a decent open face M2000 helmet for AX, but here's a link I found that might interest you.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/estore/p...L-31+Open-Face
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Is an M2000 helmet kosher with most AX clubs???

Most folks would tell you just to go to the higher rated helmet. M2000 helmets occasionally get shot down... I should know.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Most folks would tell you just to go to the higher rated helmet. M2000 helmets occasionally get shot down... I should know.
    Yep I recalled that you had an issue so I figured I'd ask!

Over the winter hiatus I'll be shopping for a nice new autox helmet that's good for all of next years events... autox and track!

According to my recollection of the SCCA book, SM2000 helmets are OK for AX, SA2000 helmets are required in open track use where fire protection is required.

The apparent difference between SM2000 and SA2000 helmets is interior flammability.

If you showed up with a DOT motorcycle helmet, they're not legal. They require a Snell rating not more than 1 series out of date. Snell publishes new standards every 5 years, so there was a Snell 95, a Snell 2000 and there will be a Snell 2005...... during which, Snell 2000 helmets will be legal.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

By the way, I found an even better price of $75.82 delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTRACE
    According to my recollection of the SCCA book, SM2000 helmets are OK for AX
    Probably true... but, in my experience, it depends on how good a day JG has been having when I come to tech.

Probably true... but, in my experience, it depends on how good a day JG has been having when I come to tech.
    Make sure it has magic stickers inside!

Is he the same charming humanoid who told me not to show up again unless I changed my brake fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Make sure it has magic stickers inside!
    Whether they looked inside varied from tech to tech...

I just say screw it and get the good stuff from the word go.

Is he the same charming humanoid who told me not to show up again unless I changed my brake fluid?
    Probably.

No that would have Altiain!
    Altain is more of a charming anthropoid.

No that would have been Altiain! They are basically interchangeable!

$85?

Man, I paid $75 for my G-Force SA2000 rated helmet

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Where?

The beloved eBay!

RJ

No that would have been Altiain! They are basically interchangeable!
    That hurts my feelers...

For the record, M95 or SA95 or newer helmets are legal for SCCA & ER use, and I've never seen an M95 or newer M helmet failed at Tech, unless we couldn't find the little holographic Snell sticker inside the lining. According to JG (whether this is true or not is debateable, I think he just wants to make things more bloody complicated), some cheap Chinese-made knockoffs say M00 or SA00 on the outside, but do not have the "official" Snell sticker on the inside. These helmets - should we ever come across one - would not pass Tech, regardless of what year they're stamped on the outside.

For open track, some sactioning bodies will not allow the use of M-rated helmets, so if you plan on doing both, an SA-rated helmet is a better idea. I would also suggest a full-face helmet for track use, unless you're a big Dale Earnhart fan.

On the other hand, I've got a full-face SA00 helmet (that I paid a lot of money for ) that I bought for both track and autocrossing. SItting in grid in mid-summer with this helmet on is miserable, and I've been thinking about picking up a cheap open face M00 helmet just for autocrossing.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I would also suggest a full-face helmet for track use, unless you're a big Dale Earnhart fan.
    That's funny as hell.... but a ... still though, funny as hell!

Except that Dale was killed by a basal skull fracture and a full face helmet would have done nothing to prevent that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast