Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditching the landline

Default Ditching the landline

I am thinking about ditching the landline. I might keep it for the house alarm, but cellular is an option for a small monthly. In true TCB fashion I am trying to see which is cheaper. It also might be nice in a longer power outage.
    Is it true that ATT has a super basic / pay by the call phone line for $10-$20 per month? I can't find anything on it. I wanted to be informed before I called. Right now I am inclined to just shut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004 View Post
    I am thinking about ditching the landline. I might keep it for the house alarm, but cellular is an option for a small monthly. In true TCB fashion I am trying to see which is cheaper. It also might be nice in a longer power outage.
    Is it true that ATT has a super basic / pay by the call phone line for $10-$20 per month? I can't find anything on it. I wanted to be informed before I called. Right now I am inclined to just shut it off.
    I killed my phone in December, got a Skypein # and Skype pro -$60 for the year, and bought this phone: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-VOIP84...2351811&sr=8-1

I love it, paid ~$100 for the phone, I'll be saving $ in another month or 2. Went from ~$40/month to $5/month with unlimited call to anywhere in North America. Comes in handy for those customer service calls that eat up your cell phone minutes & those long phone calls to relatives & friends out of state.
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

ATT does offer a cheap monthly land line.......I got my home bill lowered about $25. If I remember correctly there are unlimited incoming calls but outgoing calls are limited to a certain number, I don't remember how many but if I go over my limit it is a flat .08 cents a call (for local calls). I didn't want to give it up completely and the flat rate is $5.55 a month plus taxes. They call it a "measured rate residence line".

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    ATT does offer a cheap monthly land line.......I got my home bill lowered about $25. If I remember correctly there are unlimited incoming calls but outgoing calls are limited to a certain number, I don't remember how many but if I go over my limit it is a flat .08 cents a call (for local calls). I didn't want to give it up completely and the flat rate is $5.55 a month plus taxes. They call it a "measured rate residence line".
    I have something similar so that I can have DSL.

I have not had a land line since 2004, and I do not miss it. However, I do not have an alarm or DSL, either.

You guys know AT&T will sell you just the DSL now right?

No need for a bundled POTS line (plain old telephone service)

$23/month.

http://consumerist.com/342490/get-at...l-in-5-minutes

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Quote Originally Posted by pliablemoose View Post
    You guys know AT&T will sell you just the DSL now right?

No need for a bundled POTS line (plain old telephone service)

$23/month.

http://consumerist.com/342490/get-at...l-in-5-minutes
    That must be new.

Last year, it cost $100 extra to install the dry line due to a special plug specific to the dry line and you had to pay the full non-discounted price for the DSL. I got the same price for the basic phone service and DSL as what I would have had to pay for just DSL per month.

My bill is $46/month after taxes and includes the Pro DSL service $25 with $15 for the phone line.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10850

The FTC made ATT offer naked DSL as a condition of them buying Bell South, it's been available for about 10 months and ATT has been slow about letting anyone know about it, like their own employees, it took me an hour & half to get them to agree to sell it to me, then in true SBC/ATT fashion, a tech stole my pair last month when he hooked up a new neighbor, he listened to my line, no dial tone and gave it away, took 4 days to get it back.
    Last edited by pliablemoose; 02-07-2008 at 06:45 AM.

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Talking

a tech stole my pair last month
    Sounds painful!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Sounds painful!
    The hours on the phone were painful... Damn tech lied in his repair report on the first visit, said his repairs were verified inside the house, got home that night and no internets.

The CSR told me what the tech wrote in his repair report & much fun was had about ATT & accountability of their repair guys. I got 3 different follow up calls from ATT apologizing about the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    What did they steal?
    Since I have DSL, not cable, the signal is transmitted over the regular phone lines; referred to as a "twisted pair". When someone got new service in my neighborhood, the tech hooked up their handset, and upon not hearing a dial tone on my no phone service line, (old habit, they're supposed to hook up a different device now to test for an internet signal since they sell a dry loop now) he disconnected me & gave the line to the new phone service subscriber, and hooked it up to regular phone service for them.

They refer to it as "stealing a pair"

I really wish I had cable or fiber service in my area, my speeds suck...

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Since I have DSL, not cable, the signal is transmitted over the regular phone lines; referred to as a "twisted pair". When someone got new service in my neighborhood, the tech hooked up their handset, and upon not hearing a dial tone on my no phone service line, (old habit, they're supposed to hook up a different device now to test for an internet signal since they sell a dry loop now) he disconnected me & gave the line to the new phone service subscriber, and hooked it up to regular phone service for them.

They refer to it as "stealing a pair"
    Ahhh... I see... thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    I did the same as well... I think the limited outgoing local calls are very generous. Something like 100 per month.

I have tons of cell minutes and 3 active cell phones in the house on a corp plan, so I don't worry about cell minutes. The alarm and power issues are the only reasons I can think of to keep a regular phone. If its less than $20 a month then I will.

ok went to the $5.55 deal. Thanks guys.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004 View Post
    ok went to the $5.55 deal. Thanks guys.
    Tell us more about this $5.55 plan, you got a link?

I got my AT&T bill at the $20.00 a month mark, but we hardly ever use the land line anymore.

I moved over to ATT U-verse, then got rid of the phone line. I didn't know they offered DSL w/o the phone now, but I really like the U-Verse.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

how is the uverse service ... i know when i worked for att up until may it was crap .. bad pixelation, connection drops all the time... 12 hour installs LOL
    07 civic si sedan -- the new toy
    92 miata-dead 85 VF500F, 01 750 Ace Deluxe
    furry friends -- sibes - lakota, anana, baby - schnauzers - roxie, tater --- MUTT -- Aero()
    - gus gus and gidget -- birds - stewie & Libby

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    I moved over to ATT U-verse, then got rid of the phone line. I didn't know they offered DSL w/o the phone now, but I really like the U-Verse.
    My only complaint with U-Verse is that I was told I couldn't get the U-Verse internet without their "cable" TV service. Is that true? I'm happy with DirecTV and don't want to change.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    My only complaint with U-Verse is that I was told I couldn't get the U-Verse internet without their "cable" TV service. Is that true? I'm happy with DirecTV and don't want to change.
    I feel strangely compelled to interject at this moment that FIOS rocks. That is all.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast