Thread: Flipping 710's

Question Flipping 710's

In a desperate attempt to not give Kumho any in March I have picked up Loren's old 710's and with my current collection of 710's I think I can come up with 3-4 tires to squeak me into April.

I noticed the inside edges of my collection all seem to have a bit of rubber remaining would it be worthwhile to flip the tires?? Would that buy me any time.

TIA

Didn't Lug-nut Jon try that a few years ago and determine it was not a good idea?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52 View Post
    Didn't Lug-nut Jon try that a few years ago and determine it was not a good idea?
    Really??? Damn........ You recall the details?

I recall his little buddy Altiain talking about flipping 710's back in his Miata days, but I'm not sure if he ever did.

I've heard Armor All will preserve tires quite well. Probably reduce tread wear as well. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    I've heard Armor All will preserve tires quite well. Probably reduce tread wear as well. YMMV.
    +1

All Kumho race tires have single directional belts and cords.....not bi-directional.

The belts will start separating because they are not going in the correct direction if you "flip" them.
    #79 BSPL
    '79 Metallic Brown Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Rotgirl View Post
    All Kumho race tires have single directional belts and cords.....not bi-directional.

The belts will start separating because they are not going in the correct direction if you "flip" them.
    Couldn't he flip the mounting of the tires on the wheels, then swap L and R wheels. The flip/swap combo should retain the direction of the belts while moving the un-worn inside to the outside, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Couldn't he flip the mounting of the tires on the wheels, then swap L and R wheels. The flip/swap combo should retain the direction of the belts while moving the un-worn inside to the outside, right?
    Yep!

I took the Tire Trailer down to my favorite tire guy and got two flipped, the padlock on the other post would not unlock, and the tire guys suggestion to beat the lock off with a hammer failed to win my vote......

So I get to get do this again tomorrow!

Whoops... sorry. I've been in meetings all day. Sounds like I could have saved you some money.

Flipping well worn race tires is not such a good idea. You end up adding positive camber to the whole system when you do it.

I tried it with an early set of V710s and hated 'em. Jon did the same, with the same results. Since then, neither of us has flipped a tire, even though we're both notoriously stingy when it comes to buying new race rubber.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Whoops... sorry. I've been in meetings all day. Sounds like I could have saved you some money.

Flipping well worn race tires is not such a good idea. You end up adding positive camber to the whole system when you do it.

I tried it with an early set of V710s and hated 'em. Jon did the same, with the same results. Since then, neither of us has flipped a tire, even though we're both notoriously stingy when it comes to buying new race rubber.

Well live and learn... I should have listened to Mark52 (who knew) !

Do you ever go to work?

Do you ever go to work?
    If you are running the worldwide HQ, I guess you don't have to!
    Gabriel

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Do you ever go to work?
    Those 20-hour work weeks must be killing him.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Do you ever go to work?
    I'm sure he's on call 27/7 in case there's an industrial machinery emergency somewhere in the world.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

So are you still going to flip the other pair, or are you going to flip back? Or stay half flipped?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    So are you still going to flip the other pair, or are you going to flip back? Or stay half flipped?
    We are going with 100% flip...

Speaking of Lug Nut John, are my eyes deceiving me or did he make the SCCA National Events ad in the back of this month's Sports Car Mag?!?!?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Nope - that's his car. He's famous now.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw