Thread: Replaced the shifter boots and turret lube!

Default Replaced the shifter boots and turret lube!

Yikes - I probably should've checked these out right when I got the car! When I pulled the console I could see right through the outer boot, all the way to the pavement. The inner boot was trash as well.

Anyhow, I replaced both boots and the little bushing on the end of the shifter. Probably could stand to replace the two nylon rings that cradle the big fulcrum ball, too, but I didn't even think about it while I was at Town North. Then, digging around in the garage, I found a couple bottles of Mobil One gear lube - bonus! I also made the pilgrimmage to Harbor Freight and found a crappy but perfectly useful $6 suck-a-pump gizmo to pull the old fluid out of the turret.

Final result: It shifts a whole lot better, I don't feel the heat coming in, and it's a little quieter. Next step will be to go ahead and change the tranny fluid with the Mobil One.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 03-05-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Just wait until you do the trans, you just think it shifts better now............and next time just go in the kitchen and find a turkey baster to suck out that old turret oil.............

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Replaced the shiter boots
    Are you talking about the gasket around the toilet?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Just wait until you do the trans, you just think it shifts better now............and next time just go in the kitchen and find a turkey baster to suck out that old turret oil.............
    Turkey baster? I ain't got no turkey baster!

The last time I used one to suck brake fluid out of my master cylinder, it was my mom's... and she got high-pissed since, you know, I was home from college for Thanksgiving...

BTW, how come the turret is separate from the rest of the trans? I don't remember ever messing with a car that had a shifter turret that had to be lubed on its own... Did I miss something somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Are you talking about the gasket around the toilet?
    Ah yes... um, good catch, and I fixed it... "shitter boots" would be a good name for those.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

I need to do this on the LE, what parts did you buy just the 2 boots? Sounds like a 15 minute job, is that about right?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I need to do this on the LE, what parts did you buy just the 2 boots? Sounds like a 15 minute job, is that about right?
    I bought the two boots, and the one nylon bushing that fits over the small ball on the bottom tip of the shifter. Should've bought the two nylon rings that hold the big fulcrum ball in as well. Probably more like 30 minutes is a reasonable install time if you're changing the fluid in the turret as well.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 03-06-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days