Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Home Owners

Default Question for Home Owners

Like most cities, McKinney has supplied trash and recycle bins.

My garage barely fits our two cars so the bins are regulated to the side of the house. This works out good except they sit in mud when it rains, making them hard to roll as well as getting my shoes all muddy.

What can I do to solidify the ground? I don't have the desire our inclination to pour a concrete slab. Any other suggestions?

I've considered rocks but wonder how easily the bins will roll on them. Laying a brick base might work but I'm concerned about the angle of the ground. The land between my house and the neighbors is in a "V" shape which I assume is for drainage.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

At our house in North Richland Hills, I put down four large (16"x16") patio squares along the side of the house and stood my trash can up on those.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    At our house in North Richland Hills, I put down four large (16"x16") patio squares along the side of the house and stood my trash can up on those.
    +1 These work really well.

I have a premade concrete slab that the air conditioner guys use to set the AC compressor on. If the ground is pretty level, you can use just about anything.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I had a neighbor that worked for Pavestone, so we had some pavers professionally installed between our houses and then added a fence in front of where we store the bins.

We later filled in the grass behind the fence with gravel so we did not have to mow that small area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's pretty sharp JRJ512.
    Are the yards still separated in the fenced in area?

Chris

Check with what your city allows, you will notice in jrj512's pictures the trash cans are not visible from the street.

Ft. Worth first sends out a nasty letter if they are visible from the street, and they have a nice fine if you don't comply with the rulez.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    That's pretty sharp JRJ512.
    Are the yards still separated in the fenced in area?

Chris
    The original backyard fence and fence between the houses stopped at the back of the houses. It is still there, so our backyards are seperate. However, we chose not to seperate the two houses between the original fence (which you can see in the back) and the new fence. That way, we only needed one gate and it was not such a tight fit.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Check with what your city allows, blah blah blah...
    Ft. Worth first sends out a nasty letter if they are visible from the street, and they have a nice fine if you don't comply with the rulez.
    I don't have to hide my trash can and Jerry Jones is King. (Arlington allows NO trash cans and you just throw your garbage sacks on the curb on pickup day.)
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    you just throw your garbage sacks on the curb
    What type of prehistoric crap is that?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Smart crap. Same here in NRH. You can put cans out if you'd like (I never do), but then you have to track them down when they blow (or float) down the street.

Irving is the same way.

I actually like it.

The Garbage men actually get out of the truck and pick everything up.

Unlike the ones that drive up... align the arm over the trash can... and flip a switch to bang it on the side of the truck... while bits of debris fly about.

I always assumed that the automated can pick-up was cheaper/more efficient than having guys shag cans/bags??? Ever have any problems with critters tearing open bags? I would be concerned that my neighborhood raccoons would have a field day on bags left out.

I always assumed that the automated can pick-up was cheaper/more efficient than having guys shag cans/bags??? Ever have any problems with critters tearing open bags? I would be concerned that my neighborhood raccoons would have a field day on bags left out.
    When I moved to my neighborhood and inquired about a trash can I was shocked to hear you just lay it out. Imagined it would cause an unsightly mess and trash would be torn into a litter spread. Since I have been here I am loving it!

On the speed efficency points I have seen the guys speed through (one driver and one picker upper) and it is pretty fast.

Plus you take into account they dont have to stop and aim for the arm, dont have to wait for the slow arm or the driver does not have to get out to right tipped cans it may be the same if not faster.

It also creates more jobs which in todays world is a huge positive.

I have never had any issues with animals getting into my bags. Even if they did the trash guys would scoop up the garbage.

Plus it is nice when you have some light construction stuff to throw away.

Dont have to fit everything in a trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    I don't have to hide my trash can you just throw your garbage sacks on the curb on pickup day.
    +1, except for Richardson, it's pickup dayS - we still do 2X a week. (and bulky item collection is every week.)
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post

... or the driver does not have to get out to right tipped cans it may be the same if not faster.
    Wow.
    Your guys do that?!?!
    I can't remember when the last time was that the a$$ monkeys who pick up our trash didn't leave at least one can tipped and completely blocking the alley. Every -ing week.

I live in Allen and I like the trash bins. I have a homemade concrete slab - but the bins usually end up on the grass anyway.

We only have pickup once a week-so having the bins is nice. We have recycling every other week, and bulky once a month. I had a lot of bulky items this last time (more than the website said was allowed) and they picked up everything. Vegetation has to go into separate tall brown bags that you have to purchase.

Question...where do you store your trash if you don't have trash bins and you can't put your trash out until the day of pickup?

I've heard a lot of complaints from residents in Richardson putting trash out before their pickup day...animals tearing in to the trash...and the rodent problem is awful.

I'd take the bins over tossing cheap garbage bags out on the curb anyday.

I think the main reason that Richardson (and any other city that does their trash this way) has the manpower and the fleet. Allen's waste disposal is contracted out to CWD - thus the bins and CWD trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    Question...where do you store your trash if you don't have trash bins and you can't put your trash out until the day of pickup?
    In a covered trash can outside or in the garage.

Trash collection is twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    I've heard a lot of complaints from residents in Richardson putting trash out before their pickup day...animals tearing in to the trash...and the rodent problem is awful.
    You make it seem like...

This ran in the DMN a few years ago...exactly as it is...no paintshop alterations here...

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE Richardson...but every City has their dirty little secret...those code violation letters do serve a purpose other than to annoy people...

Of course it's not as bad as finding this behind the restaurant you just ate at! Do you want yours regular (mmmm is that a pepperonci?), or spicy?

Suspension Modder

I was like, "hey that doesn't look so bad" and then I scrolled down some more. I still think the first picture looks good even if the rest suck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast