Thread: Ford sells Jaguar/Land Rover to India's Tata

Default Ford sells Jaguar/Land Rover to India's Tata

Wow!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23797447/
    LONDON - U.S. automaker Ford has agreed to sell its luxury brands Jaguar and Land Rover to India's Tata Motors for more than $2 billion, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Ford, which signed the deal on Tuesday, plans to publicly announce the transaction in New York at 8:00 a.m. EDT on Wednesday, said another source.

They finally signed the deal? Seems like months ago that I first read the story. I think it will be a very good thing for Jaguar.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    They finally signed the deal? Seems like months ago that I first read the story. I think it will be a very good thing for Jaguar.
    Why do you think it's good for Jag? I thought Jag finally started heading in the right direction with the new xkr and s type.

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    Why do you think it's good for Jag? I thought Jag finally started heading in the right direction with the new xkr and s type.
    I have first hand experience working with Tata group, and they are a first class organization. They are run 1000 times better than Ford, have lots of cash to pump in to making Jag successful, and have high quality low cost manufacturing capabilities. As long as they are able to attract and retain top automotive engineers, they will be fine. I would also point out that Lotus being acquired by Malaysia's Proton seems to have worked well for them.

I have first hand experience working with Tata group...
    I have first hand experience with tatas, too!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I have first hand experience with tatas, too!

You win!

I have first hand experience working with Tata group, and they are a first class organization. They are run 1000 times better than Ford, have lots of cash to pump in to making Jag successful, and have high quality low cost manufacturing capabilities. As long as they are able to attract and retain top automotive engineers, they will be fine. I would also point out that Lotus being acquired by Malaysia's Proton seems to have worked well for them.
    Proton doesn't actually do anything with Lotus from an operational standpoint, just owns them. There's rumors that Proton is selling as well.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Proton doesn't actually do anything with Lotus from an operational standpoint, just owns them. There's rumors that Proton is selling as well.
    My point was more that ownership of a "British car company" by a company from a country not known for automobiles does not necessarily spell doom for the brand.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Unless that owner is Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    Unless that owner is Ford.
    Yep... this article seems to capture it well.

Tata good-
    Jaguar’s management is “entirely relaxed” about the prospect of the carmaker’s takeover by India’s Tata group and believes it will allow Jaguar and Land Rover – which is also part of the sale – to develop unfettered, one of the luxury car maker’s most senior executives told the Financial Times.
    Ford Bad-
    Offering a rare insight into events at the British luxury carmaker following its purchase by Ford for $1.4bn in 1989, Mr Callum indicated that there had frequently been tensions in the relationship.

Talking Tata

Considering Jaguars quality issues and depreciation curve, Tata would do well to dump every British made part on the cars and make their own.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffs View Post
    Considering Jaguars quality issues and depreciation curve, Tata would do well to dump every British made part on the cars and make their own.
    I would not be surprised at all if the design and final assembly stayed in the UK while 95% of the parts were made in India.

I think we can all agree that there is no possible way for Jaguar to do worse under Tata than they did under Ford.

So from that standpoint it is a good thing for both Jaguar and Land Rover.