Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee makers?

Default Coffee makers?

I know we've got some coffee aficionados on this board...

My wife is a coffee lover. Our current coffee maker is on it last legs, and I'd like to suprise her with a replacement. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a coffee aficionado, so I could use some help with selecting a good one.

I know she wants a programmable one, so she can set it to brew before she gets up in the morning. I also know she'd like one that grinds the beans, so she can continue to buy whole bean coffee, but not worry about having to pre-grind it before setting it up every night. Just dump in the beans, the water, replace the filter, and set it to auto. It also needs to be more than an single-cup brewer, for when we have company.

I'd also like to add that - as a member of Team Cheap Bastard - I'd like to pay as little as possible for this machine, like less than $100.

Any suggestions?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Mine doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does make a damn good cup/pot of coffee. BUNN - put in the coffee, pour in the water and it's done in 3 minutes.

Suggestions?

I suggest that if you find such an animal for less than $100, you tell the rest of us where we can buy one for ourselves.

I'm not a coffee afficionado, but I sometimes think about playing one on the internet.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

One place to check is Fry's as they have a pretty good selection of appliances... and some pretty oddball ones at that.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I hit Starbucks for the occasional coffee jitters...

I guess that would add up on a daily basis.

Well, here is one that I have had my eye on that meets all of your requirements except the $$$ one (of course), but not over by too much. I can't vouch for it personnaly but it looks like just what you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...63149?v=glance
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Must... deliver... more... pizza...

http://www.1-800-espresso.com/espres...automatic.html
    F that! I can't even fathom paying $500 for a coffee maker. That's a set of tires!

photodavo, thanks for the link. That looks about right (even though it's more than I want to spend ) and I dig the "brushed chrome" finish.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain

F that! I can't even fathom paying $500 for a coffee maker. That's a set of tires!

photodavo, thanks for the link. That looks about right (even though it's more than I want to spend ) and I dig the "brushed chrome" finish.

No kidding...

A couple of those were discounted!

Imagine that!

Here you go sir, this coffee maker is now 25% off. Just $2299... are you paying cash or do you care to look at your finance options?

Note that the Cuisinart units in Black or White (or red) are discounted to $89.99 at J&R Camera World.

$99.99 at Beall's.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

man, 100 dollars is alot of $3.64 visits to starbucks, and they make it for me, frozen
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by altiain

Yeah...love the brushed finish look but I guess I would find it hard to justify not looking at the $90 option at J&R in the other color finishes.

Another feature that I really like is the insulated carafe - those things do a great job of keeping coffee piping hot for hours!
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by OUTRACE
    Note that the Cuisinart units in Black or White (or red) are discounted to $89.99 at J&R Camera World.

$99.99 at Beall's.
    Thanks, OUTRACE. We've got a black one now, and I'm sure she could live with another one. I'll get over not having brushed chrome.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    man, 100 dollars is alot of $3.64 visits to starbucks, and they make it for me, frozen
    If my wife were an occasional coffee drinker, that'd be one thing. She's not. She drinks a cup (or two) every morning. Weekday, weekend, doesn't matter.

Since the current coffee maker (a wedding present) has made it 7 years so far, I'm willing to spend $100 on a new one, since that works out to about four cents per daily cup... or about 1/90th of what you're paying at Starbucks.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by photodavo

Yeah...love the brushed finish look but I guess I would find it hard to justify not looking at the $90 option at J&R in the other color finishes.

Another feature that I really like is the insulated carafe - those things do a great job of keeping coffee piping hot for hours!
    i didnt get the model number but i just got back from sam's and they had a coffee maker that looked just like that for $98 for the brushed look. you might check sam's website for them.
    2012 VW GTI
    4 Door White

i see, im not that hardcore into coffee, yet... im young
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

I myself am young but I'm more into diet coke ( lots of caffine)

rory

I just grab a Dew out of the fridge every morning. And then I basically have one in my hand throughout the day.

But I'm seriously thinking of going back to coffee. I estimate I drink 1020 calories of Dew every day. Yeah, that's a six pack at 170 calories per can.

Damn, just typing those numbers gives me the willies...........

I know how you feel. I used to drink 3-4 cans of Dr. Pepper a day. I thought about all of those empty calories (funny how us old men think, when our metabolisms start slowing down ), so I switched to Diet Dr. Pepper. It doesn't taste as good, but I've found that I really don't notice that much, it has the same amount of caffeine, and no calories (or carbs! Atkins Approved! :P )
    Iain

Ahhh, and therein lies the rub re: me and artificial sweeteners.

I'm deathly allergic to NSAIDS. These are the drugs that are in the aspirin family. NutraSweet, Aspartame, and their derivatives are all in this family.

I'm not talking about "allergic" like hives or stomach discomfort.... I'm talking systemic shock..... hospital time...... ephedrine shots..... or it's curtains.

It makes living in the modern world VERY interesting.

Diet soda....... I'll pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast