Thread: interested new buyer

Tire Warmer

Default interested new buyer

Hello all,
    I am Bruce in Arlginton and just joined,
    I am interested in buying a used Miata.
    I would really appreciate some discussion and feed back on year models etc. which are best for reliability etc.
    Is this a vlaid question ? well I gotta ask as we all know how stuff is, I just like to ask the ones who, like you folks..
    Thanks
    Bruce.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome Bruce. That is a loaded question. Some folks likes the NA's (1990-1997), some like NB's (1999-2005) and others like NC's (2006-Present). Most of us like them all.

They are all great cars and very reliable. There's plenty of good info on model years and differences here - http://www.miata.net/faq/

Start reading and keep asking questions.

Welcome to the fun. E-mail sent.
    Currently Miata-less... 2007 Brilliant Black NC PRHT, to replace 2006 Winning Blue NC, to replace 2002 SE, to replace 1993 LE #1322 and so on and so on...

Driver
    Blog Entries

Welcome!

What kind of budget are you looking at, and how sensitive are you to high mileage/work needed/orignal set up? That will determine a lot about what would work best for you. A 99/00 worked best for what I wanted, (NB that runs on regular,) but that isn't what works best for everyone.

If you see a Miata you like, let us know, and maybe one of us can go see the car with you, or maybe we are already familiar with the car and can save a trip. Or, there is the risk that we would be jerks and go buy it out from under you, but I don't think that is much of a risk, since we already have Miatas.

Hope this helps
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

'94 NA's are the best! First year of the 1.8 motor, bigger brakes, last year of the real oil pressure gauge... but it all comes down to budget and personal preference. When I started looking, I decided I wanted an NA b/c I preferred the looks to the NB. I also wanted that big ol' Rat Motor... so, given my nebulous budget* ideas, I went and found a '94.

*Of course, this whole budget thing has since gone out the window and splattered all over the ground below.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 04-19-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Though the NC has gotten an oil pressure gauge back. Not scaled, just tick marks. But it does go up and down in an analog fashion.