Thread: Name that problem: Fuel pump or TPS or ???

Default Name that problem: Fuel pump or TPS or ???

So I am cruising at 70 and my '92 starts to lightly buck when accelerating to keep up with traffic. Back off to steady speed and it smooths out. Fuel is at 1/4 tank so I'm not on fumes yet. About 15 minutes later in slower traffic at about 45, bucking gets worse (almost embarrasingly so) on acceleration but smooths out at steady speed. Going up a very slight hill same bucking, downhill smooth. Having experienced this before, I shut the engine off at the next stop light, count to 3, restart and no problem the rest of the trip. I have done this "reboot" at speed and it also works. The bucking has happened in the straights and on turns, almost full tank of gas and almost empty. Not very consistant. I hate shotgunning a problem, especially with so many experts out there.

So, national audience, what is your vote? Any guesses?

By the way, just to eliminate the amateurs like me out there, I installed a new fuel filter a couple of tanks of gas ago and it the problem has not gone away. Now what is your guess?
    Currently Miata-less... 2007 Brilliant Black NC PRHT, to replace 2006 Winning Blue NC, to replace 2002 SE, to replace 1993 LE #1322 and so on and so on...

Plugs/wires... vacuum leak... bad CAS...

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

What he said.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The fact that you can "reboot" and eliminate the problem would seem to rule out vacuum leak or plugs...and points more to something like the CAS or TPS.

I forgot about the CAS. That makes sense. It's worth a shot. I let you know how it works.
    Currently Miata-less... 2007 Brilliant Black NC PRHT, to replace 2006 Winning Blue NC, to replace 2002 SE, to replace 1993 LE #1322 and so on and so on...

Run a bottle of Techron before throwing parts at it.