Thread: POP! Goes the intercooler.

Default POP! Goes the intercooler.

I bought the FMII from a guy in Pennsylvania. One of the perils of a northern car is corrosion. My intercooler pipes were covered with rust. So I have them re-powdercoated.

SWEET! Glossy metalic blue with Bright red silicone hose connectors. Looks so awesome.

Whoops! The glossy part might have been a mistake because I keep blowing off connectors on 12 lbs. of boost. Man that makes a hell of a POP! Of course that means no manifold boost. Frankly, a miata without boost is like a cake without frosting. It's a little dry and tasteless.

So now, I need to crank the heck out of the connectors to keep them on. Hopefully they won't fly off on track.

Live and learn.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

yeah, the v-band clamps are a lot better.... is there any sort of a bead rolled onto the ends of the piping?

Be careful when you tighten those, you can crush the pipe with too much torque.

Spray some Hairspray (Aquasheen YO) on the ends of the pipes right before you clamp em. Old drag racer tip.

Let me know if it works for ya.

Chris

we found that if you lightly sand the pipe-ends (like 80 grit or so) it gives something for the silicone to bite into. the hair spray trick works great too, just sometimes it can make the hoses a biotch to remove.
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

Hairspray!

Now I need to add hairspray to the race equipment. My fellow racers are goin to think I am vain.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

If none of that stuff works, you can weld tabs on the tubes and wire the clamps to the tube. Or flare the ends of the tubes (always good to do right away).