Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Sony HU bit the dust...

Default My Sony HU bit the dust...

I'm looking at replacing my HU.

Requirements:

1. iPod controls or Aux-in
    2. (3) Pre-amp outputs (Front/Rear/Sub)
    3. Amber or Red Illumination
    4. Not too flashy (I know, but I prefer my stereo to be not blingy!)
    5. Rotary knob controls

I am swaying towards the Alpine 9885.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Those of you with Alpine HUs controlling an iPod, how do you feel about the interface? I prefer to just shuffle all my songs most of the time and just skip past ones I don't want to hear.

How's the speed, song title info, navagation, etc...?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I really like mine (Alpine 9885, that is)!

I looked at several units with iPod controllers and, IMO, Alpine has their interface worked out the best. It's pretty intuitive (not quite as friendly as the iPod itself, but close), and it's the fastest of all the ones I looked at (Pioneer, Kenwood were the other two brands I considered). I like to go to shuffle mode as well, but the interface also allows me to find songs/artists/playlists quite easily.

Also, their display gives you the most info/options (although it can be a bitch to read in the sun). As for display color, the info screen has sort of bluish-green letters/numbers on a black background - and you can't change that. However, you CAN change the color of the buttons from blue to red (they actually look blue during the day and glow read at night - easy on the eyes). One other neat feature is the "blackout" mode - you set the unit to go black (lights, display, the whole thing) unit until you touch it (although, for some stupid reason, this doesn't work with the radio - just the iPod and the CD).

...and, of course, you can add Satellite and HD Radio to it.

Holler at me sometime if you want to take a closer look at mine. I'll make a point of being at the next WNGTG for it.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 05-01-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

How is it $50 better than the 9884? Only differences I can see are button layout and display...

Hmm... I don't remember the 9884 from when I was looking, but I saw one with a similar display. The display on the 9885 sold me compared to the other one.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

My Nak meets all those requirements, but they don't make them any more. I picked mine up on Ebay for about $100.

The major differences between the 9884 and 9885 are the displays, DAC's, and preout voltage.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

My son and I just installed an Alpine 9884 in his Honda Civic. This is a really good sounding HU. The ONLY thing that is a nuisance is that it takes awhile for it return to normal display after you have made sound adjustments. This has been mentioned in some of the on-line reviews. The 9884 was on sale at Bestbuy a couple of weeks ago for $180, but I believe you can find it for less on-line. The 9884 comes with the iPod cable, but it does not come with a remote.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    The major differences between the 9884 and 9885 are the displays, DAC's, and preout voltage.

Also, the 9885 comes with the wireless remote ($20 value). The higher preout voltage (4 vs 2) of the 9885 could be the deciding factor if you are going to amp your door and headrest speakers.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

After looking at the manuals for the 9885 and 9884, I'd almost be inclined to take the 9884. It has much better crossover and time delay settings despite it's 2V preouts.

Personally I'd take the 9886 or ideally I'd spring for the 9887. This is also dependent on the fact that my car has an enclosed listening space so the sound diffenences like time correction would be more precivable.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I've got an Eclipse 8053 deadhead sitting around that's never been installed. Three sets of 8V outs (16V if you have the ability to run balanced outs). Don't have a picture at the moment, but I can dig one up if you want to see.
    Not sure if you'd like the price tag, though...
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I'm looking at replacing my HU.

Requirements:

1. iPod controls or Aux-in
    2. (3) Pre-amp outputs (Front/Rear/Sub)
    3. Amber or Red Illumination
    4. Not too flashy (I know, but I prefer my stereo to be not blingy!)
    5. Rotary knob controls

I am swaying towards the Alpine 9885.
    Thoughts? Recommendations?

I picked up a cheap Sony about a year ago - just over $100. Doesn't have the red illumination, but it matches the stock NA illumination quite well. Aux-in on the front AND dedicated iPod control, if you want. Also plays MP3 and WMA from cd. Not blingy at all, IMO Mine only has a single set of pre-amp outs (all I need) but I think the next step up has 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CraiginTX; 05-02-2008 at 08:28 PM.
    '96 M-edition

Titus, The Nak is almost too plain looking for me. Besides, the idea of an old used HU doesn't thrill me, even if it was a good one.

Nexus Flux, I like the 9887 but I don't want to spend that much. I agree that the sound staging might be important in a closed environment but SQ was never a major goal of mine as the convertible environment is not quiet enough to appreciate it, even with the top up. This is especially true of a 13 year old convertible.

motorollow, I think 4 volt pre-amp outputs and the upgraded display are worth the extra dollars for me but thanks for the suggestion.

Juxt3r, I'm pretty set on the price range of the 9885.

CraiginTX, Thanks but I have amber illumination on my car now. Besides, I keep hearing the Alpine is the bomb for iPod control.

My old Sony was pretty decent for what it was. It had more features than the 9885 and a few I may miss. It had 18 FM and 12 AM presets, full band EQ with multiple EQ programs, multiple illumination options and looked good in my car. I've checked eBay for them and the few that were there were still bringing lots of $$$.

My Sony only had XM as an option which kind of sucks and no iPod controller but it did have a standard rear Aux-in. BTW, my old HU was the Sony CDX-MP70

...and across the line.

If you don't have to absolutely have to have the red/amber ilumination, the get the Pioneer. Otherwise the Alpine would be the 2nd best choice. My buddy has his own home theatre/car audio business and he just upgraded from the old Pioneer ipod interface hu to the new one...the one I was looking at. It is one awesome hu. Too lazy to look up the model info but its I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

My old Sony was pretty decent for what it was. It had more features than the 9885 and a few I may miss. It had 18 FM and 12 AM presets...
    All you need is the Eagle and the Ticket, right? One FM and one AM!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    All you need is the Eagle and the Ticket, right? One FM and one AM!
    Gotta have Jack FM too... if only to have an option of music in the morning when the Eagle (and most everyone else) goes in to talk mode.

True... by my estimation, there are 15 possible listenable/useful radio stations here in town:

FM:
    88.1 - KUNT (no, wait... KNTU... my bad)
    89.3 - KNON
    90.1 - KERA
    92.5 - Lone Star KZPS
    93.3 - The Bone(r) - Cowboy games in the fall
    95.3 - The Range
    97.1 - The Eagle
    98.7 - who doesn't KLUV their oldies!
    100.3 - Jack
    101.1 - WRR (calms the road rage)
    103.3 - ESPN (well, now that the Mavs are done, it's pointless)
    105.3 - Russ Martin FM

AM:
    730 - SOUL 73!
    1080 - KRLD - traffic & weather on the 8's
    1310 - The Ticket

Which leads me to wonder why the hell they put soooo many presets on radios these days...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

trickyrix,

I'll take you up on that offer to check out your 9885. I'm also curious about the IDA-X001. No CD player but an even better iPod interface. I listen to my iPod about 90% of the time.

...and across the line.

trickyrix,

I'll take you up on that offer to check out your 9885. I'm also curious about the IDA-X001. No CD player but an even better iPod interface. I listen to my iPod about 90% of the time.

No problemo... you'll be able to get a good feel for the iPod interface and the big display.

The only time I use my CD player is on the way home from the store when/if I pick up an actual CD - which always ends up on the iPod anyhow. That iDAX001 looks pretty mean! I like that big ol' knob...

'94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

trickyrix,

Isn't this the head without any moving parts? Fewer bits to break = good.
    The specs on this one look pretty nice. Seems like something you might wanna take for a test-listen just for grins.

FWIW, the iDA-X100 shows as having red illumination as an option and looks to retail for a little less than the -001.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    Isn't this the head without any moving parts? Fewer bits to break = good.
    The specs on this one look pretty nice. Seems like something you might wanna take for a test-listen just for grins.

FWIW, the iDA-X100 shows as having red illumination as an option and looks to retail for a little less than the -001.

Good point on the no moving parts. Some folks have added a USB HDD and just carry music that way too. Pretty cool!

Crutchfield has the -X001 for $269 on close out with all the hardware I need to install it and free shipping. The -X100 is just this years model but $349 ($50 cheaper than the -X001 when it first came out.)

I'm pretty sure the -X001 turns red.

...and across the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast