Thread: Need help, I was in a hit and run accident

Suspension Modder

Angry Need help, I was in a hit and run accident

Hey Guys,

I need a little help. I was hit today while on southbound 75 just past lovers. The van that hit me was a white panel van (typical contractor type) with a roof rack. The roof rack was empty. After changes lanes he struck my miata's drivers side front panel, with the van's passenger side rear panel. I am fine, but I am very pissed as you could imagine. If everyone could just keep an eye out for a van match this damage pattern (maybe with blue paint). I did file a hit-n-run report with the university park police. And I even have an eye witness to the event. I tried to chase him put the driver side fender is on top of the tire, and he got away at a red light. The witness said he was weaving all over the road.

Last edited by matt586; 04-29-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: now with pics!

That sucks. No plate number?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Are there any DOT camera's on 75 that may have captured it?

Suspension Modder

No I didn't get a plate number, he got away before I could get close enough to get it. I just sent TxDot an e-mail to see if they have cameras in that area, but last time I checked they did not record the video feeds off of those cameras. But maybe I will get lucky.

Oh, I am also looking for recommendations for body shops that can work on Miatas.

Carazzie used Dallas Roadster in Richardson, maybe Plano. It's where Town North Mazda sends theirs for body work. They did a pretty good job.

Sorry bout the hit-n-run. Happens alot in Dallas. He probably had no insurance.

That sux to hear, hope it all works out for you.
    99 Miata Black

Suspension Modder

I added some pics of my poor little car.

Quote Originally Posted by matt586 View Post
    I added some pics of my poor little car.
    Amazing how the damage is really on that one panel.

If I were you I would take the insurance money...

Then get a factory panel from another wrecked 10AE and bolt her up.

Just ensure that factory panel is in good shape and is orig paint.

Then get that dent popped on your door.

You will probably save some $$ and not have any overspray that might ding you when you trade her in... or Carfax if you sell her.

Good luck getting another limited edition fender badge with your number on it!

That royally sucks!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Suspension Modder

Unfortunately my car was missing the limited edition badging to begin with. I think the previous owner was in a collision and did not repair it very well.

This is the response I got back from Txdot
    TxDOT maintains 90,000 miles of roadway in Texas that carries 95% of the state's daily traffic. You can imagine how many accidents there are every day and how often the state gets asked this question.

To avoid getting involved in the business of making tapes, and to avoid lawsuits, the state agreed years ago to not allow recording devices in our facilities. This action also reassured legislators and other elected officials that TxDOT would not be tempted to abuse the cameras.

Therefore, we have no recordings of any camera on the state's highway system anywhere in Texas. Sorry.
    So here you have more legislation that helps the criminals. Who uses tapes anyway!

And I think I might be able to do a lot of the work myself to save some money.

Do you have uninsured motorist coverage this would be a good time to use it.....

Quote Originally Posted by matt586 View Post
    This is the response I got back from Txdot
    TXDot may not keep tapes, but some of the cities do. You might want to check and see if there are any city owned cameras that caught the hit and run. Here is an example of tapes from cameras managed by the city of Mesquite being used to review an alleged incident on 635.

Oh no, your car is one of the cool blue ones! Hit and run sux to be sure. I've been the lucky recipient once before.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Good luck getting another limited edition fender badge with your number on it!

That royally sucks!
    I recall seeing them on the Mazdaspeed Motorsport Development site. Of course you'll have to provide your number. I've never tried to order one myself though.

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Oh no, your car is one of the cool blue ones! Hit and run sux to be sure. I've been the lucky recipient once before.

I recall seeing them on the Mazdaspeed Motorsport Development site. Of course you'll have to provide your number. I've never tried to order one myself though.
    I see Mazdaspeed motorsports does have a part number for the 10AE badge, has any one actually gotten a replacement for those?

its cool how it only tore up one panel. Good luck catching this guy, and don't expect the police to do anything. They have better things to do like arrest kids for smoking pot.

Outside of life and death situations, I pretty much gave up on police after I couldn't get them to make a report on a video of a car wrecking into mine with the license plate visible, after I obtained contact information.

Quit wasting your time with a police department that has better things to do with their time than pursue non-lucrative consequences and just drop the car off for a new fender and paint.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!