Thread: Timing belt

Default Timing belt

I purchased a 1999 miata 2 months ago with 59,000 miles. Upon inspection by my mechanic everything was in great shape. A computer print out says I need to replace the timing belt at 60,000 miles. Is this usual, anyone have any experience with this? I know timing belts don't give any warning before they go and can cause a lot of damage but I thought they were mostly replaced at 100,000 miles.
    Thanks.
    JE

Contact Rogue on the board, he can do it for you at a good price. I'm pretty sure the timing belt is non interface so even if it goes out it won't damage anything, you just won't be able to drive. It's still better to go ahead and get it done though along with maybe water pump or whatever other maintenance is done at 60k.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by j_eible View Post
    I purchased a 1999 miata 2 months ago with 59,000 miles. Upon inspection by my mechanic everything was in great shape. A computer print out says I need to replace the timing belt at 60,000 miles. Is this usual, anyone have any experience with this? I know timing belts don't give any warning before they go and can cause a lot of damage but I thought they were mostly replaced at 100,000 miles.
    Thanks.
    JE
    The Miata is a non-interference engine - no damage if the T-belt breaks, but you will be stranded. CA cars show the timing belt interval to be 100,000 - and the only difference is the paperwork.

It's a relatively easy job if you're so inclined. Rogue would be a great choice if you don't want to DIY.

Congrats on the purchase!
    '96 M-edition