Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well its official, the car is totalled...

Unhappy Well its official, the car is totalled...

Well, as some of you may of by now heard that I was hit last Monday.
    The car is officially totalled just 5 days after my motorcycle was stolen.
    After almost two weeks the insurance company (Travellers) decided to take responsibility for the accident. I will say it was an ordeal after phone calls from them about the driver maybe not being insured at the time due to a late payment, which turned out to be false, he was insured at the time. To my fortune though, after jumping through hoops and causing my insurance adjuster countless hours of stress I'm sure. All in all she was really good and nice even though I was semi-beligerant at first. It came down to today that my insurance company (Progressive) was going to pay off the total amount for the car ($7,250 with me keeping the salvage) to my fortune just minutes after being told the check had been written and I can come pick it up or have it mailed to me, I get the call from Travellers and they tell me that they are accepting total liability for the accident so and with me keeping the salaveg car they are paying out ($8,400).

Now the only things I have to figure out is what to do with the car. I have a very reputable shop of people that I know; and they tell me it can be fixed for around $6,000. The part that needs to be replaced is the front clip. I know fixing it is a bit of a gamble. Given the circumstances I'm thinking of having the car fixed for that amount until I can find another miata and transfer everything over. Since I can walk to work now its not that big of a deal so the car will mostly be parked and I can pocket $2,000+ right off the bat. So needless to say that is the way I'm leaning.
    Blah blah blah!

glad to hear they are putting up some cash. I would be a little hesitant about replacing the front clip, but that is me...
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    The car is officially totalled just 5 days after my motorcycle was stolen.
    After almost two weeks the insurance company (Travellers) decided to take responsibility for the accident. I will say it was an ordeal after phone calls from them about the driver maybe not being insured at the time due to a late payment, which turned out to be false, he was insured at the time. To my fortune though, after jumping through hoops and causing my insurance adjuster countless hours of stress I'm sure. All in all she was really good and nice even though I was semi-beligerant at first. It came down to today that my insurance company (Progressive) was going to pay off the total amount for the car ($7,250 with me keeping the salvage) to my fortune just minutes after being told the check had been written and I can come pick it up or have it mailed to me, I get the call from Travellers and they tell me that they are accepting total liability for the accident so and with me keeping the salaveg car they are paying out ($8,400).

Now the only things I have to figure out is what to do with the car. I have a very reputable shop of people that I know; and they tell me it can be fixed for around $6,000. The part that needs to be replaced is the front clip. I know fixing it is a bit of a gamble. Given the circumstances I'm thinking of having the car fixed for that amount until I can find another miata and transfer everything over. Since I can walk to work now its not that big of a deal so the car will mostly be parked and I can pocket $2,000+ right off the bat. So needless to say that is the way I'm leaning.
    the white turbo NB? That sux...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Damn Mike, that sucks. Did you sell the 00'? Sorry to hear about your bike, how'd they steal that? 08' has been a rough year
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Suspension Modder

'08 has seriously sucked so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post

Whoah. This is my old White Turbo?! Glad you're ok. But
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully you'll end up better off $$$ because they totalled it.

Speaking from experience don't try to fix it. There is always more hidden damage than you originally think and it always takes longer than you think. Just find an NB with a straight body and swap it all over. It is just almost impossible to make a hard hit Miata whole again without dropping lots of cash and time and in the end there will always be little things that just are not the same.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Bummer about the car, Mike -- but like you said at least you can take your time, you get the car back, and the ins. co finally stepped up. Remember, your donor hunt can include undesirable base and/or auto models!

I would also recommend the part it out/scavenge, new Miata plan as well.

I'm on Miata #3 and so are most of the parts I bought for Miata 1 and 2.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shoefly View Post
    Whoah. This is my old White Turbo?! Glad you're ok. But
    Believe me I wish it wasn't the case. Not much I can do about a speeding Yukon that is lane splitting traffic to make it to a stop light before everyone else that is stopped.
    Blah blah blah!

Real sorry to hear the bad news Mike, hope it all works out for you.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    Speaking from experience don't try to fix it. There is always more hidden damage than you originally think and it always takes longer than you think. Just find an NB with a straight body and swap it all over. It is just almost impossible to make a hard hit Miata whole again without dropping lots of cash and time and in the end there will always be little things that just are not the same.
    I agree and also recognize that the car will never be the same. However, in the short term if it can be fixed for $6,000 or a little more I'm be ok with that until I can find the right donor car for the swap. Then I'll have two Miata's. instead of just the one and the other can be used for DD, parts as needed, sold for scrap or whatever. To me the damage didn't look that bad. He basically ran over the front bumper from drivers side to passenger side. Most of the damage I believe came when the car landed on the passenger side after being hit. He nearly jumped all the way over the car.
    Blah blah blah!

My condolences Mike. If it was me, I would buy something like this, move everything over, sell what is left, and pocket over $3k when all is said and done. You net more cash, don't have to worry if it was repaired correctly, and don't have to hassle with trying to unload a salvage title car some day in the future.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I would buy something like this
    For not much more you can buy a '99 Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    For not much more you can buy a '99 Sport.
    Which would be an even better idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    PICs!

Its kind of hard to tell from the pics but I did get hit on the driver side (doesn't look bad there) but in the second pic you can see the mark where the wheel came down on the hood, just before the passenger side headlight.
    Blah blah blah!

Yep, frame rail.
    doesn't look kicked over though. Thats good, if your fixing it.

I agree, with the prices NB's are bringing. I'd pick up a nice body.
    I saw a nice 01 slushie at Pate for under 3k.
    No way i'd pay 6k to fix that.

I have a 99 with a blown motor and a clean title..........if these hail storms ever let up and I get back to Dallas you are welcome to come look at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast