Thread: The Great :cat: Shootout

Default The Great :cat: Shootout

As most of you know, I go through parts like ken o goes through cars. I'm always buying something to test out so that I can gain feedback from it.

A few weeks ago I had a boss frog straight pipe, fm high flow cat, and a stock cat in my possession. I compared the weight of the three cats, sound and put them on the butt dyno. The baseline for this test was the stock cat.
    Car had a monsterflow filter on stock intake plumbing, UD pulley, cracked ebay header, and FM single tip exhaust.

My conclusions:
    Stock cat: 10 pounds, sounds like stock, power feels pretty good for minor bolt ons

Boss Frog Straight Pipe: 3 pounds, spec miata loud and disgusting, less low end torque/slightly freer top end/lots of carbon-soot out of tip

FM High Flow Cat: 5 pounds, slightly louder than stock with more growl, more power altogether throughout the whole powerband

The obvious choice became the high flow cat. I had a JR high flow cat on the '96 and I thought it made a difference. I now confirm that the FM cat made a big difference on the '94 so I stuck with the FM high flow cat.

Since the cat shootout, Rogue welded the cracks on the header, I added a monsterflow carbon intake w/heatshield and TSI's. The car feels way stronger than my '96 did. I contribute part of this to the fact that the '94 is 150 pounds lighter than my '96 was.
    i've got another intake to try out and a header on the way. I hope to get to the dyno for an intake/header shootout and some real world #'s
    soon.
    Thanks to Chris Fain for lending a hand.

I had my FM High Flow cat replaced at a local muffler shop with the exact same part for less than $100 after install. Just for anyone looking to replace theirs it would be cheaper to find the brand name or just go to the muffler shop and have a high flow universal cat welded on.
    Blah blah blah!

For some reason my "dual" exhaust with a test pipe sounds sweeeeet going under overpasses... not Spec-ish at all.

But then again, I'm special

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I found the same type of results between the stock cat and straight pipe. I never had a chance to run a high flow cat.

BTW, I don't remember if it was this month or last but GRM has a full cat test on Andy Hollis's STS2 Miata. They dyno tested about 6 different options. Very informative.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    I found the same type of results between the stock cat and straight pipe. I never had a chance to run a high flow cat.

BTW, I don't remember if it was this month or last but GRM has a full cat test on Andy Hollis's STS2 Miata. They dyno tested about 6 different options. Very informative.
    I should have gotten a GRM subscription a few years ago. It is time....

I noticed very little change in noise when I deleted my cat.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

We're about to go look at the animal shelter in Fort Worth today for a new cat for the . I will steer the toward an FM, if they have one, since it will be lighter than a stock cat and not as loud as a straight cat. I'm a little worried about the high-flow part, with the new carpet and all.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I noticed very little change in noise when I deleted my cat.
    Did you remember to change the batteries in your hearing aids?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I bought the magnaflow high flow off fleabay and it cost less than the FM and still gave good results.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    I bought the magnaflow high flow off fleabay and it cost less than the FM and still gave good results.
    How much was it? I payed $125 shipped for the FM high flow.

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    I also bought an Ebay Magnaflow cat and put it on my old 95... I forget the shops name, but they were doing "buy it now or best offer". I think it ended up being about $85 shipped. I'd definitely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    We're about to go look at the animal shelter in Fort Worth today for a new cat for the . I will steer the toward an FM, if they have one, since it will be lighter than a stock cat and not as loud as a straight cat. I'm a little worried about the high-flow part, with the new carpet and all.

outstanding!
    I learned this the hard way.....

Take all of your valuables out of your car at night. This includes taking the mounting hardware off of your windshield or dash and hiding the power supplies. I lost over $ 1,000 to a thief with no hope of recovering my items and to top if off they smashed my window in the rain and my truck got soaked. Let my loss be your learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    How much was it? I payed $125 shipped for the FM high flow.
    I ended up paying around $90 shipped for it about 6 months ago
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Default Thread revival...

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post

Anybody have a copy of this GRM issue laying around?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Anybody have a copy of this GRM issue laying around?
    Check online. Article may be there.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

No FI no care.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Check online. Article may be there.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/
    I already searched their website... couldn't find any sign of the article.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds