Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stance Coilovers

Default Stance Coilovers

Jeff_nc mentioned to me that i should look into stance before i chose my coilovers. anyone familiar with stance coilovers? I've been reading all over that people are ditching their flexes for the stance. I can not find anything negative about them. So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used these or knows anything about them compared to the flexes.

I'm just wanting a setup that doesn't bounce my spleen out and seriously improves the handling.

-Blake
    '01 NB White - HDHCHT Roll Bar, FM sways, TDR Strut brace, Mazdaspeed mounts, FM Butterfly Brace, Tein Flexes, Hard Top, Ooogah oogah horn.

try over on clubroadster.net
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

I've never heard of the "Stance" coilovers... got the Teins and love 'em. They don't bust my spleen, and they SERIOUSLY improved the handling...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 06-09-2008 at 11:06 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

The look cool and all, but I bet my corner weighted bilstein/GC's will outperform them (lol). $1600 is a lot of money for twin-tube"might be good" suspension. Make sure they'll sell you single shocks in case you have a wreck or one randomly blows. That's the nice thing about my set-up. Its not so exotic that when I lightly damaged my car last year, I could get another damper for $100 where I could have been out significantly worse. I was up shit-creek when I had my vw and lost an H&R coilover, and had to buy another set.

I wouldn't be surprised if the valves used in both tein and stance were identical to the tein monotubes. Also, for $1800, those dampers better be rebuildable. I looked at these like 2 years ago, but I asked questions like "twin or mono-tube", will you sell me singles, how high of a spring rate can I use, and are they rebuildable" and I don't remember specifically what they said, but I remember hanging up the phone and knowing I wanted something else. Also, they don't say if they offer twin or mono-tube...it would be a cold day in hell before I'd spend that kind of money on a twin-tube, non-rebuildable shock.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 06-10-2008 at 07:06 AM.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Well i guess i'm considering them because all that I can find about them seems like a steal for the price. You can get a set of these for $1250 with 8k/6k spring rate. (448lb/336lb) F/R. And they are inverted monotube, about $160 bucks for a replacement shock, are fully rebuildable. Able to be custom ordered on the spring rates, and they will rebuild the valving for you. The regular valving is supposed to be good for 10k (560lb) springs. People are also saying that the shock dynos look better than the teins(not that i can say i have any idea how to read the dynos). Everybody running them on clubroadster.net says they ride as well if not better than the Flexes, even at the stiffer spring rate. Guess this is why I'm debating.

I think what i need to do is call TDR Gary and ask for a ride in one of his flex cars. If that seems good to me, i may be able to throw these stances out of my mind.

Aren't the Tein Flexes twin tube?
    '01 NB White - HDHCHT Roll Bar, FM sways, TDR Strut brace, Mazdaspeed mounts, FM Butterfly Brace, Tein Flexes, Hard Top, Ooogah oogah horn.

Quote Originally Posted by nb4lyfe View Post
    ... about $160 bucks for a replacement shock...
    Pardon my ignorance, but if its 160 per shock what costs the rest of the money per corner for a full set of coilovers? Seems for 1200 you are paying 300/corner for coilovers. so is the spring and perch 140+?

Quote Originally Posted by nb4lyfe View Post
    Well i guess i'm considering them because all that I can find about them seems like a steal for the price. You can get a set of these for $1250 with 8k/6k spring rate. (448lb/336lb) F/R. And they are inverted monotube, about $160 bucks for a replacement shock, are fully rebuildable. Able to be custom ordered on the spring rates, and they will rebuild the valving for you. The regular valving is supposed to be good for 10k (560lb) springs. People are also saying that the shock dynos look better than the teins(not that i can say i have any idea how to read the dynos). Everybody running them on clubroadster.net says they ride as well if not better than the Flexes, even at the stiffer spring rate. Guess this is why I'm debating.

I think what i need to do is call TDR Gary and ask for a ride in one of his flex cars. If that seems good to me, i may be able to throw these stances out of my mind.

Aren't the Tein Flexes twin tube?
    Three things to keep in mind about suspension parts (especially dampers):

• You get what you pay for (if it seems to good to be true...)
    • "Feel" is subjective. Just because Joe Riceboy thinks it rides like a Caddy and corners like a Caterham doesn't mean you'll agree.
    • Racing improves the breed.

I've never heard of Stance. I've heard of Koni, Bilstein, Tein, Penske, Ohlins, etc. Why? Because you'll find all of these products on "real" race cars around the globe. Stance may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I doubt it. When they start supplying parts for F1 (Koni), JGTC (Tein), WRC (Tein, Bilstein), ALMS (Penske, Ohlins, JIC), etc., then I'll see what they've got to offer.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Took a quick ride in TDR Gary's NB. Impressed with the ride. I'll be ordering flexes. Altiain, I agree...stance is unheard of, and probably for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Three things to keep in mind about suspension parts (especially dampers):

• You get what you pay for (if it seems to good to be true...)
    • "Feel" is subjective. Just because Joe Riceboy thinks it rides like a Caddy and corners like a Caterham doesn't mean you'll agree.
    • Racing improves the breed.

I've never heard of Stance. I've heard of Koni, Bilstein, Tein, Penske, Ohlins, etc. Why? Because you'll find all of these products on "real" race cars around the globe. Stance may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I doubt it. When they start supplying parts for F1 (Koni), JGTC (Tein), WRC (Tein, Bilstein), ALMS (Penske, Ohlins, JIC), etc., then I'll see what they've got to offer.
    You should have checked their web site before talking about racing. Their coil-overs are on several (race) cars around the U.S. and Canada. There's only info for 07 listed, but it is a fairly impressive list for a company that isn't as well known as the usual suspension companies.

http://stance-usa.com/sus/index.php?...=14&Itemid=111
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    You should have checked their web site before talking about racing. Their coil-overs are on several (race) cars around the U.S. and Canada. There's only info for 07 listed, but it is a fairly impressive list for a company that isn't as well known as the usual suspension companies.

all I see is NASA time trial and canadian touring car...the rest are drifting. Regardless, enjoy your new suspension.

Adam, there is a huge gap between a few drift and time attack cars and a real professional motorsports effort in a competitive series.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I was giving an example of the caliber of cars that run Stance coil-overs; it took me just a few seconds to find it.

If Stance was crap, these companies/teams would not be using Stance products on their car, let alone taking wins in time attacks, drift events, and Canadian Tour Car events, etc.

Just because it's not known, doesn't mean it's crap. I can guarantee that only a handful of people on this board have heard of the company I will be getting my suspension from for the S2k; yet this company has built one of the best handling S2k's in Japan, if not the world.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I can guarantee that only a handful of people on this board have heard of the company I will be getting my suspension from for the S2k; yet this company has built one of the best handling S2k's in Japan, if not the world.
    Amuse? J's Racing? Spoon?

I'll tell you when I get it
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I was giving an example of the caliber of cars that run Stance coil-overs; it took me just a few seconds to find it.

If Stance was crap, these companies/teams would not be using Stance products on their car, let alone taking wins in time attacks, drift events, and Canadian Tour Car events, etc.

Just because it's not known, doesn't mean it's crap. I can guarantee that only a handful of people on this board have heard of the company I will be getting my suspension from for the S2k; yet this company has built one of the best handling S2k's in Japan, if not the world.
    I got the suspension off my car from the McLaren F1 team because well, caviar and cris, son. I make it rain.

Drifting is gay, and I miss you honey, call me!!!

lulz
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I'm not sure I consider drifting to be an actual motorsport... isn't there some kind of subjective component to it? Besides, everyone knows the fastest way around the track isn't with the ass hung out and tires smoking on every corner...

WTF is "Time Attack" other than individual hot laps? Time Trials? Kinda like the Pike's Peak hillclimb? Can we just call it that and not have a fancy bad-english Japanese name for it?

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I'm not sure I consider drifting to be an actual motorsport... isn't there some kind of subjective component to it? Besides, everyone knows the fastest way around the track isn't with the ass hung out and tires smoking on every corner...

WTF is "Time Attack" other than individual hot laps? Time Trials? Kinda like the Pike's Peak hillclimb? Can we just call it that and not have a fancy bad-english Japanese name for it?

The "drifting isn't racing" argument will go on forever. Formula D is boring compared to japan's D1GP! The Japanese invented the sport and are still the best. They do triple digit speeds while maintaining a drift. It's a race to the finish, but the drift must be maintained.
    The fastest way around track is still grip driving.

Time Attack is the fastest growing form of motorsports in North America. There are different groups and events running time attack, so their rules vary somewhat. Some examples are: Redline Time Attack, Modified Time Attack, Super Lap Battle, etc.
    The name stays.....

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Some examples are: Redline Time Attack, Modified Time Attack, Super Lap Battle, etc.
    The name stays.....
    it sounds like mario kart.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    it sounds like mario kart.
    I aim for the lightning
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast