Thread: Mazda stands behind the rotary engine

Default Mazda stands behind the rotary engine

Mazda to extend engine warranty on all RX-8s to 8 years/100k miles.

You've got to hand it to Mazda for its perseverance with the Wankel rotary engine design. Ever since it's engineers managed to make it semi-reliable, the turbine-like smoothness of the quick-spinning lump has seen duty in numerous Mazda-branded vehicles, and even a few others as well. Still, despite constant engineering work and updates to the basic rotary engine design, there is a lingering question about the reliability of the design. Most owners seem happy with the engines in their RX, that is, until a seal blows or they forget to keep the oil supply topped up and it fails to restart. Or it floods in the winter, needing a tow. Alright... so there may be a few problems.

To ease the minds of RX-8 owners and owners-to-be, Mazda has reportedly decided to extend the warranty coverage for the 2004-2008 Renesis rotary engine for a period of eight years or 100,000 miles. Mazda even goes so far as to offer reimbursement to those who've spent money on engine repairs before 100,000 miles. This seems like a nice measure made in good faith on Mazda's part. After all, most educated owners of the rotary-powered cars knew what they were getting when these purchases were made, and the engine was already covered under the same basic warranty that comes standard with all Mazda vehicles. Nice work, Mazda.
    Kudos, Mazda!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yup... Got my notice in the mail yesterday. Yay, Mazda!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Amazing!

Makes me feel better about buying a used RX-8 one day.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Hm... I might buy one! If I can get one cheap, who care about how much gas it burn!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Hm... I might buy one! If I can get one cheap, who care about how much gas it burn!
    You will when you have to drive to MW, race at 1 gallon per lap and then drive back
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    You will when you have to drive to MW, race at 1 gallon per lap and then drive back

I remember MW being big, but wowwie!

This is really good PR for Mazda, or bad depending on how you view it I guess.

Chris

Mazda should get over themselves and put a real engine in that car for some decent mpg. Its 2008, get with the times.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I forgot to mention another thing....

Did you watch the video that came with the warranty extension package??? There's one little change from the original version... It now says "use of premium unleaded fuel is recommended for maximum performance" and goes on to say that "use of fuel with an octane rating below 87 may cause engine damage."

This would be that helpful little tidbit you were looking for, Iain...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yeah, I did get the video, and I noticed that change as well. I plan to start experimenting with 87 octane on the next tank.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw