Thread: Alignment Bolts

Default Alignment Bolts

Hopefully I dont get repremanded from POS for posting this and not searching first... I want to replace the alignment bolts in my suspension. How many are there? Just one per corner?

Default Re: Alignment Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Hopefully I dont get repremanded from POS for posting this and not searching first... I want to replace the alignment bolts in my suspension. How many are there? Just one per corner?
    Nah I'm a nice guy! Plus you were nice enough to create a post on what you needed. Here is what I found for ya!

Mazda Miata Alignment Bolt Set (1) Each. These are for front or rear. There are 4 on front and 4 on the rear.

Mazda Miata Alignment Bolt Set (1) Each NAY9-28-6AZ $5.08 (Source Trussville Mazda)

Yup. If you get the newer version part, you'll need different size wrenches as well. :)

why are you replacing them? just asking
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    why are you replacing them? just asking
    Snap, Crackle and Pop, would be my guess...

hey kyle- that's why we are always tightening the ones on the spec cars before every event- kinda like an insurance policy against the "Continuiosly variable alignment"

Do you guys torque them? If so, what to? We've been doing them to about 125ft-lbs. Much less and they seem to slip on track.

Yeah they seem to pop over bumps. I can sit in the garage and bounce up and down in the drivers seat and hear them creak. I am going to start here, and go to bushings later if this doesn do it. Also I have had the car aligned a few times, and from what I read everytime stretches out the bolts a little more. Evil I dont know what they are torqued to, as I dont do my own alignment.

Yeah, they have to be sooo tight they probably do stretch a little, but I doubt we're getting into actual yield. I would think they would be fine. As long as the cams aren't messed up and you tighten the hell out of them, they should be good. I would always re-torque them after having somebody do an alilgnment for me.

i'm not a light guy, and i put just about all my weight on a break over bar when i'm tightening them. about 2 seasons on a car, and you'll start to see a bit of stretching effecting the threads....

Would this cause the alignment to go out? TIghtening them after the fact?

no, as long as you only turn the nut. Keep the bolt and the cams stationary and only turn the nut. Also, if you put new ones in, make sure they're all facing the same way. I find it really really annoying when they don't.

Are you sure it's really the alignment bolts and not something else making those sounds like sway bar bushings or cracked sway bar mounts?

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Are you sure it's really the alignment bolts and not something else making those sounds like sway bar bushings or cracked sway bar mounts?

Raymond
    Yes. Come out and ride in my car at Pennington (probably even in the rain) and you can hear! It's a really cool sound!!! The nervous people duck for cover.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Where did you read about that? You know you'd be disappointed if I didn't say it! :P

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Hush...

I guess going over to the EVIL side (You're an Outsourcer now!) has corrupted you...

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!