Thread: Antivirus Software

Default Antivirus Software

My Norton 360 is set to expire.

What do y'all use? I'm tired of Norton hogging so much resources and slowing the computer down. Something with built-in spyware blocker and/or Kid Safe lock-out would be ideal.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Norton 360

Symantec... Company bought enough licenses and told everyone to install it on their home computer.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I'm ripping that Symantec crap out and putting Trend Micro on. It's a lot lighter on resources.

Of course, it helps that I picked up a 3 user license from their booth at a trade show event. In any case, they are a good OEM partner at the day job and they have a good product.

Even though the (free!) pricing for me was the icing on the cake, I've had free software from the other two big companies and would not install their stuff on my machines based on past experiences.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Avast and AVG, both free and I haven't had a virus in years. I'm also very picky on programs using resources (PS CS3 takes over 1gb of RAM to run certain things), and these 2 run in the background pretty well.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

a google search for the best virus software pointed me to bitdefender. I haves used it over the last few months and it has kept me protected. it also uses very little system resources, it is also pretty cheap

Kaspersky here... very good stuff.

Nothing at all. Antivirus software is for pussies. I also run naked through briar patches.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I also run naked through briar patches.

AAAAAahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

--
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    Avast and AVG, both free and I haven't had a virus in years. I'm also very picky on programs using resources (PS CS3 takes over 1gb of RAM to run certain things), and these 2 run in the background pretty well.
    My dad was using these for a while - short while - and my sister swears by them. But I bought him Norton Anti-virus - it's a few bucks cheaper than the 360 but 360 had things that he didn't need.

I have a friend who works on corporate computers and he recommends Norton 360. It sucks paying, but at least you know you have the protection. Getting a virus on your computer is almost as bad as getting pregnant...and I spend a lot more on NOT getting pregnant! :)

My weird way of looking at it...

Compare the Norton products...you might not need 360 either and you can save a couple bucks.

Blog Entries

I had three devastating virus attacks while using Norton antivirus and Synmatec spy sweeper. The last one attached itself to Norton antivirus and I had to wipe the hard drive. Switched to Micro Trend almost two years ago and I've never had a problem since and it is very unobtrusive. I don't know it's there unless I think about it. Never pops up on the screen and interupts what you are doing.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

McAfee here, not a virus one, but in the past three years it has stoped 5 or 6 that are in emails.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

+1 on McAfee with perpetual licence. The price was right and I've never tried anything else. Updates virus definitions daily (or weekdays anyhow).

Trend Micro is the way to go. Was a Norton user, but I had to ripe it out after a couple of days installing the new version which slowed the PC so much and became useless!
    Gabriel

Buy a MAC?
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...