Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White NA, comin atcha.

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    HOWDY.....like Ken O said, welcome to Taxas. Enjoy the drive, if you are taking the long route here go through Deals Gap.
    Surprised to hear people complain about state taxes in a state with no state income taxes.

They should try registering a car in Oklahoma after moving up from Texas.

Oklahoma has all kinds of fees they charge, even a $1 fee for getting up, walking outside, and verifying the VIN # on the vehicle.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Talking to relatives in AR, NC & AL has convinced me we are not saving any $ by not having a state income tax. Texas more than makes up for not having a state income tax. Add in our much more expensive home owners insurance and this state is not the bargin that it used to be....

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Surprised to hear people complain about state taxes in a state with no state income taxes.

Talking to relatives in AR, NC & AL has convinced me we are not saving any $ by not having a state income tax. Texas more than makes up for not having a state income tax. Add in our much more expensive home owners insurance and this state is not the bargin that it used to be....
    I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I'm pretty sure I came out ahead in my move from CA to TX.

Welcome!
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Welcome to the board! If you're moving to Texas in August, just realize that this is the absolute hottest part of the year. Hope your NA has a/c!

States have to pay for their budgets one way or another, be it through higher sales taxes, a state income tax, etc.

Still, the cost of living in DFW, especially compared to other major metropolitan areas, is pretty good. In fact, if you look at this Cost of living comparison, you'll see that DFW is very reasonable, especially for such a large city. Here are the top ten metro areas in the United States in terms of population, and their cost of living percentages (100% is the US average - a bigger # means it cost more to live there):

• 1. New York City - 218.8%
    • 2. Los Angeles - 150.3%
    • 3. Chicago - 111.5%
    • 4. Dallas - 91.9%
    • 5. Philadelphia - 122.6%
    • 6. Houston - 90.3%
    • 7. Miami - 117.8%
    • 8. Washington, D.C - 138.0%
    • 9. Atlanta - 97.6%
    • 10. Boston - 134.0%

Notice something? Dallas and Houston are the least expensive major metropolitan areas to live in the country. I get reminded of that every time I talk to my sisters-in-law, who are renting an 800 sq. ft. 4th floor walkup in Brooklyn, for which they pay almost $1000 a month more than the mortgage on my 3200 sq. ft. house.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

"States have to pay for their budgets one way or another, be it through higher sales taxes, a state income tax, etc."

My point exactly.....this state squanders tax money just as much as any state. Does anybody on this board really think Texas spends less per capita than any other state? Without a state income tax its just made up else where.......

I absolutely agree that as far as big cities go this is one of the best to live in.....but I wont miss it when I see it in my rear view mirror the last time.

I had to laugh when I clicked your link, right under the cost of living index is this;
    Taxes
    Moreover, personal taxes in Illinois and Missouri are most reasonable. In fact, Illinois and Missouri's per capita state and local tax burden is below the U.S. national average according to 2006 U.S. Census Bureau data

dont both of those states have state income tax???
    You can prove anything you want with statistics....
    Last edited by VFR750; 07-21-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: more info....

sup
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

"States have to pay for their budgets one way or another, be it through higher sales taxes, a state income tax, etc."

My point exactly.....this state squanders tax money just as much as any state. Does anybody on this board really think Texas spends less per capita than any other state? Without a state income tax its just made up else where.......

I absolutely agree that as far as big cities go this is one of the best to live in.....but I wont miss it when I see it in my rear view mirror the last time.

I had to laugh when I clicked your link, right under the cost of living index is this;
    Taxes
    Moreover, personal taxes in Illinois and Missouri are most reasonable. In fact, Illinois and Missouri's per capita state and local tax burden is below the U.S. national average according to 2006 U.S. Census Bureau data

dont both of those states have state income tax???

Good point about stats, however, who would want to live in Missouri and Illinois?

2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Driver
    Blog Entries

When driving here from PA on the southern route, remember that Virginia is one big speed trap.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Good point about stats, however, who would want to live in Missouri and Illinois?
    good point.....MO maybe, IL....no way

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    When driving here from PA on the southern route, remember that Virginia is one big speed trap.
    As is Emporia, Kansas, if you are going up I35.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post

And radar/laser detectors are illegal in VA.

Welcome to the forum!

FYI: I've been in Illinois for a month. I may kill myself if I don't get back to dallas soon.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12