Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For Durable Trailer Hitch

Default Recommendations For Durable Trailer Hitch

Hi,

This is Michael, sorry if I created another account. Couldn't remember the other one. Please keep this one and delete the other if necessary.

Can anyone recommend a trailer hitch for the Miata that is durable? Basically, I'd like to get a small enclosed trailer for a variety of purposes. But one of those purposes would be to haul a set of tires and tools and such to Hallett later this year. And I need a hitch that's lightweight but strong. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

For what generation Miata? I have an NA hitch (Curt) I'd sell if you're interested. Like this one...

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewPr...FeZj7AodRyEAiw

I think that is the former strathound. If so, it's an NC.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I think that is the former strathound.
    If that's the case, then I recommend duct tape.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    If that's the case, then I recommend duct tape.
    Polished Turd Racing

FM and Boss Frog both have hitches too (if you're shopping new).

Which Michael? There were no less than 5 in a row at Kellers.
    '92 LS3

Wow, this got odd. I like it!
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    FM and Boss Frog both have hitches too (if you're shopping new).
    Does anyone have any negative experiences with either of these? I know Nails was trying to use one brand, forget which one, and it flexed under load and eventually failed? I don't remember the details.

Anyways, I'll check those out. Thanks.

Which Michael? There were no less than 5 in a row at Kellers.
    Michael Schaefer. I have a red NC, usually #98. I was not at Keller's this Wednesday, but I've been there quite often in the past. I used to be a member here under the id 'strathound', and as you can see ... I've been away for a while for a reason. I'm trying to start 2015 turning over a new leaf by trying to be less confrontational. I'm hopeful others around here will do the same.

Anyways, thanks for the information.

I could pull the FM off my car. It's not sturdy enough for my application, but should work great for pulling a trailer.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I could pull the FM off my car. It's not sturdy enough for my application, but should work great for pulling a trailer.
    After looking at the FM website, I think that's the one that Nails has. And I don't think it would be durable enough for my application either. I like that it's lightweight. But I want to be able to pull something like a small enclosed trailer.

I used both the hard dog and the curt. The HD hidden hitch was cool, but mounted to weak metal and damaged the trunk and bumper mounts. The curt mounted to stronger areas and worked great, but is not hidden.

how small of a trailer? If it's over 500 lbs total and taller than the car, I think it's beyond the limits of the NC when you factor in air resistance at speed. Maybe a short teardrop made of Al, but not a typical 4x6x4 steel or wood trailer.
    Polished Turd Racing

What the heck are you pullilng? When that hitch was developed, the FEA math showed you could lift the entire car with it (although that wasn't tested empirically).

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    What the heck are you pullilng? When that hitch was developed, the FEA math showed you could lift the entire car with it (although that wasn't tested empirically).
    Static loads (or semi-static like a trailer) shouldn't be a problem... Two full-boing mountain bikes on Thule hitch rack get into resonance and create way too much torque on the mounting points. Not the thing you want to watch in your rear-view.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I used both the hard dog and the curt. The HD hidden hitch was cool, but mounted to weak metal and damaged the trunk and bumper mounts. The curt mounted to stronger areas and worked great, but is not hidden.

how small of a trailer? If it's over 500 lbs total and taller than the car, I think it's beyond the limits of the NC when you factor in air resistance at speed. Maybe a short teardrop made of Al, but not a typical 4x6x4 steel or wood trailer.
    Ahh, this is the feedback I was looking for. Thanks Mike. Yeah, I'm looking at a host of trailer options, some of which are used by the motorcycling community. In a nutshell, I'm looking for something that I can use for track days and for extending my trunk space in the unusual cases where I need to carry more than my Miata can carry. My daughter takes her driving test tomorrow. If she passes, she'll inherit the Honda Element. I'd rather not have to purchase a bigger vehicle and I feel like I could get by if I just had a little extra storage space from time to time. This may be flawed thinking and I might just need to bite the bullet and purchase a tow vehicle for a track vehicle and get a dedicated NA or something. But ... trying not to take on that extra expense right now if I can.

A decently-spec'd HF 4'x4' trailer is plenty big for tires, equipment and extra luggage. Put a good-size bin on the back and wheel mounts on the front (I prefer vertical poles w/ pvc sleeves) and you've got everything out of the car itself. My bin had room for a couple carry-on sized duffel bags on top of my jack, tool box, rain gear, impact driver, air pump/tank, etc. Codriver and I did several long-distance events with plenty of room in the car and trunk for all our personal stuff, and a small cooler strapped to the tongue of the trailer.
    Polished Turd Racing

And we still plan to mess with you, just like everyone else on this board. That's how baseball do.
    Polished Turd Racing

FM hidden hitch nearly sheared my bumper. Harbor frieght trailers are good. I have a convertible one with side rails you can buy. It's like this one that stores vertically. You can come by and look at it if you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast