Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snell approved helmet?

Default Snell approved helmet?

I found a Scorpion EXO-400 helmet on Craigslist - the girl that's selling it sent me a link to a website with the same helmet, but not as old, that says it's snell m2005 approved. Any tips on telling if this particular one is good enough for Hallett? She said it was a "couple" years old. It's a good deal for a hardly used helmet...should I be looking for a tag or label specifically saying snell XXXX approved?

Inside the helmet, there should be a sticker telling you which standard it conforms to. M2000 or M2005. Either should work for Hallett next month.

Good luck!
    '96 M-edition

They often "hide" the sticker under some of the padding, so if at first you don't see one, keep looking.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Be careful. A "couple year old" helmet means that you don't know exactly how old it is. The impact material (hard styrofoam type material) does degrade with age. The worst catalyst for degradation is varying temperatures. Many people store their helmets in a garage, where the temperature changes significantly throughout the year(s). This makes the impact foam more brittle, and as result, less effective at keeping you protected.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet.

I'm with Bo on this... I like the "clean slate" theory for helmets. I bought a brand new, open face, name brand (well, HJC) Snell 2005 helmet from Bates for about $100 (with a protective sack) - it's basic but it'll certainly do the job.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Lightbulb

Don't forget to swing over to CVS and get some head lice powder since ya got no clue on the previous owners hygiene!

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    (with a protective sack)
    <Snicker>

A brand new Exo 400 is about $140 if you like the helmet...

Moto Liberty had another stack of "$40 helmets for your $40 head" on Tuesday, but I don't think they were Snell...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I'm with Bo on this... I like the "clean slate" theory for helmets. I bought a brand new, open face, name brand (well, HJC) Snell 2005 helmet from Bates for about $100 (with a protective sack) - it's basic but it'll certainly do the job.
    I did the same from Maxim Honda dealer in Allen a couple years ago. A good plan, IMO...
    '96 M-edition

Yea umm ok. So you guys feel your head is worth $350 as opposed to $40 huh? By that logic, seems you'd want to spend more on your helmet. You miss a month's work due to head injury perhaps you should spend a months salary then?

Anyway, most snell approved helmets 2000 or later have snell on the back where it says DOT. But, officially, they have to have the sticker inside somewhere w/ a serial number on it. You'll be looking for a tan M2000 or M2005. Gently pull back padding and you should find it inside.

I got an HJC CS-5 Snell 2005 with the protective sack for $48.30 total on Ebay. No lice in it either but if you're worried about it you can probably get it dry cleaned or use a febreeze do-it-yourself kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Yea umm ok. So you guys feel your head is worth $350 as opposed to $40 huh?
    Nope, just $100.

And I could try 'em on to make sure it fit and was comfortable. And I could be reasonably sure it was new and hadn't been dropped.
    '96 M-edition

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Yea umm ok.
    Just my opinion. Don't skimp on safety equipment. Hopefully you'll never need it, but if you do you want it to work. Your head, your $$$.

All good points but just because a helmet is expensive does not mean it provides better protection. And one's head is infinitely more precious than 350 bucks. I did try some Scorpios and HJC's on at the store to get my size then shopped craigslist and ebay.

Yea umm ok. So you guys feel your head is worth $350 as opposed to $40 huh? By that logic, seems you'd want to spend more on your helmet. You miss a month's work due to head injury perhaps you should spend a months salary then?

Anyway, most snell approved helmets 2000 or later have snell on the back where it says DOT. But, officially, they have to have the sticker inside somewhere w/ a serial number on it. You'll be looking for a tan M2000 or M2005. Gently pull back padding and you should find it inside.

I got an HJC CS-5 Snell 2005 with the protective sack for $48.30 total on Ebay. No lice in it either but if you're worried about it you can probably get it dry cleaned or use a febreeze do-it-yourself kit.
    My son was given a used helmet and I removed all the interior components and washed them. Once dry I put them back in. Good as, well allmost new.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Thanks for the tips and advice!!! If the helmet (or owner) show any signs of nastiness, or abuse, etc...there won't be a sale. My fall back is the royal blue HJC CL-15 (kinda matches my car...is that gay??), not in stock but can get it in a few days.

Hallett for me is to learn some things and get a feel of how serious my interest is. I don't want to make a lot of serious investments until I'm sure. Maybe I'm over confident and lucky...I've been in many wrecks and my head was never subjected to injury...I guess it only takes once.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    If you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet.
    Well thanks to you, I have a $30 head.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Yea umm ok. So you guys feel your head is worth $350 as opposed to $40 huh? By that logic, seems you'd want to spend more on your helmet.
    My first helmet was a $100 HJC M95 (bought in '9 from a local motorcycle shop. It was fine for autocrossing, and served me well for a couple of years.

Once I started doing track days, I decided I wanted a better helmet. I bought a Simpson Super Bandit SA00. Not only was it more comfortable than my old HJC (a plus during 20+ minute track sessions), but it was lighter and carried an SA rating.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

They have a pretty good deal again....

M2000 Bell open face for $49.95.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast