Thread: helmets

Default helmets

I just saw that Hallett will be requiring a snell 00 at least this year. I've been getting by using my 95' for the past 3 years, but not so this year. So I need a new helmet.

I bought my last one from ridegear . com. Any one have any other sources for helmets for about $100?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Default Ditto

I been checkin craigslist myself. My old Nava helmet is Snell 85 I think.

The HJC CL-31 is an open face snell approved for about 90-100 msrp.

On ridegear, I couldn't find the snell ratings???? DId I miss something?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I went to the local Honda stealership in Allen to look at helmets and get idea of costs. HJC seems to be the lowest priced snells. Helmets today say on back DOT and Snell approval. The snell rating is updated every five years so if you get a snell helmet new, it's likely 2005 if not at least 2000.

Also you can get snell in 3/4 open face helmets which would be more comfortable in a car I think. I may be wrong but I thought back in the 80's that snells were only full faced helmets.

HJC, KBC, and Scorpio are the three cheap snell M-helmet brands. Scorpio are slightly more expensive ($125-135 for solid colors), but MUCH nicer. They have better visor hinges, nicer lining material, better venting, and more comfortable pad design. Compared to HJC and KBC, Scorpio uses a larger number of smaller pads to better fit around your face and ears. Definitely worth the extra dinero, IMHO. Scorpios can be found at Moto Liberty, one exit south of 635 and 35E (on 35). The actual protection from any of these three helmets will not be any better or worse than each other (or a $650 Shoei, for that matter).
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

I'm in the same position, and about to order the Zamp FSA-1. I was planning on getting a cheap HJC, but I learned that snell SA ratings test for "multiple roll bar impacts," while the M helmets do not. I'm not some douchebag safety jock, but I think $200 is reasonable for the roll bar compliance, and the composite material that's supposed to be stronger.

I'm totally against the open face helmets, especially if you're using the stock stretch belts because I don't really want to put my face in the steering-wheel. Also, I've been hit in the face with a rock on the highway with the top down.

I planned on buying a trailer and hitch, but instead buying a helmet.

If I'm right on the bottom of the helmet size, should I order one size smaller or go with the large size? I'm worried that I'll soften up the padding and it will roll around on my head.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 07-26-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

soloracer has a few cheap helmets too:
    http://soloracerdotcom.stores.yahoo.net/bargains.html

I would strongly suggest that you try on any helmet before buying it, especially for track day use. No two manufacturer's helmets fit the same way. Case in point: several years ago I was set on upgrading to a Bell M3, until I actually tried one on. I found that the shape of Bell's helmets caused pressure points that would have been very uncomfortable over a 20 minute track stint. I ended up with a Simpson Super Bandit instead, after trying on almost a dozen different brands and models. Five years later and I still find that my Simpson fits like a glove.

Also, if you're buying primarily for track days, I would also recommend an SA-rated helmet over an M-rated one. Some track day organizers require an SA rating. BRG an SA rating not only buys you better multiple impact protection over an M rating, but it also buys you a flame-retardant liner, which is a nice thing to have in a car.

Bad things can happen at track days. You've only got one head. What's it worth to you?

There are several shops at MSR that sell SA-rated helmets. There is also a place out by Texas Instruments in North Dallas. I'm too lazy to look up the name, but if you search old helmet threads on here you'll find the contact info.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I should point out that I also wear a nomex athletic supporter / cup for every track day.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I should point out that I also wear a nomex athletic supporter / cup for every track day.
    I wear one everyday. You never know what the day will bring.

I have an XL M2005 G Force full face for sale.
    http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=12445

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post

If I'm right on the bottom of the helmet size, should I order one size smaller or go with the large size? I'm worried that I'll soften up the padding and it will roll around on my head.
    Go for the tighter one, the padding will soften / compress over time & the helmet will get looser. Everyone of mine has........

I'd go for the looser helmet. Infrequent use will take forever to loosen up a tighter one and tightness causes distraction and headaches. Wear bandanas or headwraps underneath.

Or grow a fro.

I would recommend an SA helmet, if you are buying for car driving only. For the record, though; Snell M helmets are also teated for multiple strikes on three or four different points on the shell. They also test the chin guard. I read a large article about the differences in testing between Snell, BSI, and D.O.T. testing practices and standards in a motorcycle mag. BSI approved helmets provide better single impact protection (lower instantaneous G's transmitted to the head), while Snell uses multiple impact testing. The G forces transmitted to your head in a Snell helmet are higher, due to the denser impact material necessary to withstand multiple impacts on a single point of the shell. DOT standards are less stringent, which is why any BSI or Snell helmet will likely be labeled with DOT approval as well.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!