Thread: Header installed

Talking Header installed

Well, got her all fixed up. Its amazing how much better she runs. For anyone that didn't see the other thread, the original header actually had a hole where the four pipes collected. The butt dyno says she has more power (not sure how much power was lost due to the hole in the old header). There were a couple rough spots in the install. I had issues getting one of the catalytic converter bolts off. When it did come loose, using a 14mm crescent, I sliced my hand pretty good, and the wrench broke. I also had a hell of a time getting the old header out. I was attempting to take the header and downpipe out as one piece. I messed with it for almost 30 minutes trying to get it out before taking a break and calling for advice.... when I came back to it she came free after I banged a heat bracket back on the header and gave a big tug.

On to the new equipment....

The header was an ebay special.... $108 to my door. As I stated before, the quality seemed pretty decent.

One of the people I talked to that had already bought this header said the outside holes needed to be slotted slightly for a better fit. It kinda fit, but it was too tight. Took her off and slotted the outside holes. 10 minutes with a Harbour Freight "Dremel".... and another 15 minutes with a corded drill with the a stone bit after the dremel bit the dust.... for $20 that dreml served me well for 4 years. Anyways, then went and fit her again. Fit like a glove. The header came with a set of gaskets, but I went ahead and used the Felpro manifold gaskets I had already bought. I also had to extend the 02 sensor wire. The exhaust manifold that Steve gave me had a bent 02 sensor in it, so I just cut off that wire, cut the plug off my 02 sensor, and soldered the two wires together. Double the length was enough. We will see how this rigged 02 sensor works; so far no CEL.

I think it looks pretty

Drove it from my parent's place to my condo... already starting to blue. Thankfully I remembered to wipe all the fingerprints off of the visible portions before I turned her on.

Last edited by sxk122; 08-10-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: clarification

Congrats.

Hope it works out well for you. Good price for sure. I wonder if it would work with a supercharger?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Blog Entries

Brakes, then a header? You'll be an cocky Miata mechanic in no time at this rate. Congrats and welcome to the world of scarred hands and blue language.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Lol... no cursing, although I was about to pass out by the end of it.... Had an umbrella and a box fan, but that wasn't enough to beat the Texas heat. Driveway was like a skillet. Plus, I didn't drink near enough fluids. noticed I had stopped sweating around 4pm... oops..... started hydrating and went and took a cold shower at that point. I had hoped to get the CAS O-Ring changed out and the baby teeth removed. I did get the throttle cable tightened up though. Other than the shifter boots was there anything else that y'all (creek/ blackroadster) noticed I needed to take care of?

I'm hoping to be at the meet this week!