Thread: Troubles in Cheap Lindows land....

Default Troubles in Cheap Lindows land....

Well I decided that I needed a quieter fan on my cpu (heatsink) so I went to frys and bought a 15 heat sink fan that is quieter, however I installed it backwards... and the computer must have gotten hot. (started acting funny) SO I turned it off and let it cool down and now I have no video...

I thought I might have fried the onboard video and tried to put a video card in an expansion slot and that is flat line as well....

Any experiance with this sort of thing... did I corrupt the bios? what do I do to fix it...

I kind of like problems like this, bc it is good to figure out how to fix the stuff... just need some technical input...

Chris

If it's an AMD CPU then you cooked it.

They don't tolerate heat worth a crap.

Put a new CPU in.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Tech Support: You do have the monitor plugged in firmly correct?

I just ordered a Athlon XP 2500+ Mobile processor for $88 from newegg incase I decide I want to play with overclocking... hopefully this will get the machine up and running again....

The cheapest processor that I could find was a $47 Sempron 2200, but my understanding is that with the Sempron you only get 256k L2 Cache, and the XP Mobile has 512K L2 cache...

And you know what they say about cache...

You can never have to much of it....

return it to Fry's so they can wrap it up and sell it to someone else.

It turns on so it MUST work...

Yeah, I got 2 motherboards in a row from them that were repacked... and on both the floppy controller didn't work.

I'll never buy another repacked item from them.

Years ago, I used to build computers....Unfortunately, too many components were bad out of the box.....I'll only go with OEM's now (ex. Dell, Compaq, HP...etc.) They are lots less trouble.

BTW, you toasted your CPU. Those AMD's are very touchy, not nearly as robust as Intel. $.02

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

The lindows box is back up and happy.... toasted the CPU. I have the bios shutdown enabled incase I have some other unforseen problem...

Kewl!

AMD's are NOT forgiving when you overheat them.

Intel chips are smarter and will slow down or shut down from thermal overload... AMD chips just get hotter & hotter and turn a nice dark color from the heat they generate.

RJ