Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Fun for $25,000

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Most Fun for $25,000

Nice!
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Personally a Supra would be my first choice, then the NSX.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Personally a Supra would be my first choice, then the NSX.
    You are crazy. The Supra (I'm assuming the 4th gen) is an over weight pig.

3,500 lbs vs. 3,000 lbs for the NSX. Besides that the 4th gen Supra is just plain ugly.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Eek. Again I find myself agreeing with BR.

Besides, I'd posit that in 10 year's time, the NSX will be worth more than any other car on that list.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

NSX would be my first choice too. Hard to find them though in good shape at a good price. That car, like the Miata, was pretty close to perfection in design and changed little in 12 years. Now Honda is getting ready to reintroduce it and it looks more like a Nissan GTR than a Vette.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

3,500 lbs vs. 3,000 lbs for the NSX. Besides that the 4th gen Supra is just plain ugly.
    I'm assuming you've never driven a Supra... with my driving skills (which are minimal), I feel fairly certain that I could alllllmost hang with my Miata around an autocross course. The handling is EXCELLENT for such a heavy car. Even the two 3rd gens I owned handled amazingly well. Well... the NA one did... the turbo had heavy wheels

That's uglier than an NSX? To each his own, I guess. The NSX does have a special place in my heart just because I've loved them for many years, but the potential for cheap, reliable HP in a Supra is just mind blowing

Methinks you've been spending too much time on the pointy board.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I think I'd have to pick a 911 over an NSX... I think.

Monkey... if you're going to post a pic of a Supra to prove your point, you might want to pick one that's more representative of the marque.

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I think I'd have to pick a 911 over an NSX... I think.

Yes, but you'd want a 993...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

I used to think that the MKIV Supra was an overweight pig as well. Then I drove one at MSR, and that changed my mind. While it certainly wasn't as nimble as a Miata, it was one of those rare cars (much like C5 & C6 Corvettes) that seem to shrink the harder you drive them.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Supra. I've never driven an NSX, but I have ridden along in one on the track, and it is a wonderful car as well. That said, if I had to choose between the two I'd probably opt for the Supra, just because of the potential in the motor, plus the fact that it is a more practical car (2+2 with a hatchback vs. 2-seat mid-engine car with minimal trunk space).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Monkey... if you're going to post a pic of a Supra to prove your point, you might want to pick one that's more representative of the marque.
    You mean one wrecked by an overprivileged immature idiot who had no idea what he was doing?

I guess this is a good representation of all Miata owners, huh :

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...video_5463.htm

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I used to think that the MKIV Supra was an overweight pig as well. Then I drove one at MSR, and that changed my mind. While it certainly wasn't as nimble as a Miata, it was one of those rare cars (much like C5 & C6 Corvettes) that seem to shrink the harder you drive them.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Supra. I've never driven an NSX, but I have ridden along in one on the track, and it is a wonderful car as well. That said, if I had to choose between the two I'd probably opt for the Supra, just because of the potential in the motor, plus the fact that it is a more practical car (2+2 with a hatchback vs. 2-seat mid-engine car with minimal trunk space).
    No, you're crazy, it's still an overweight pig. The Miata is better than everything, don't you know that?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Great idea for an article, IMO. It'd be a hard choice but I think I'd go for the M3 or the NSX. Actually, if I had a spare $25K, I'd go for a full-zoot turbo NA Miata and a Mini Cooper S. If I had a spare $25K....

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    I'd go for a full-zoot turbo NA Miata and a Mini Cooper S. If I had a spare $25K....
    I agree 110% (except I prefer having them both supercharged).

Attached Images Attached Images

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    OH MY GOD TITUS YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Here I am paying kids' tuition and driving a dad-mobile and you've not only got both cars but a Sunburst to boot. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    OH MY GOD TITUS YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Here I am paying kids' tuition and driving a dad-mobile and you've not only got both cars but a Sunburst to boot. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    To be fair, the MINI is technically the wife's new daily driver.

Damn. NA miatas are small.

Put the bloody rota's back on the miata. It looks handicapped with those skinny wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Damn. NA miatas are small.

Put the bloody rota's back on the miata. It looks handicapped with those skinny wheels.
    The Miata is actually noticably longer than the MINI. The Rotas are off for a while... need to get one of them repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I guess this is a good representation of all Miata owners, huh :

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...video_5463.htm
    I like the "DON'T DRINK AND DRIFT" sticker on that dipshit's car...

The Rotas are off for a while... need to get one of them repaired.
    Were you out "drifting" into curbs?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Were you out "drifting" into curbs?
    No.... Not sure what the order of things was but I the car started pulling really bad so I pulled in to a gas station. The front wheel had no air in it, but the sidewalls are so stiff, you could hardly tell. The inside of the tire was also showing excessive wear. I was 40 miles away from home at the time, so I added air to the tire and tried it out. The pulling was gone, so I went on my way. about 10 miles from home, it started pulling again, but I decided to drive it the rest of the way. Got home and found the tire flat again and now corded. Pulled the wheel off and found that the inside of the rim was bent. Best guess is that the tire was low on air, a pothole bent the rim, the rest of the air came out, no air caused the car to pull, which caused the cording. But that is just a guess.

The moral of the story is that I did several things wrong but the probably the biggest is that I shouldn't have used R-comps for daily driving. I knew this, but couldn't help myself. They were the only 15" tires I had they didn't cost me that much money, and I wanted to run the Rotas, so I figured why not. Apparently a bent Rota is why not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast