Thread: Bike Training

Default Bike Training

Tomorrow, I finally start my motorcycle training with MSF. I should be getting my license the following week. Sometime after that I will be looking for a motorcycle, but I will be taking my time to look for a good deal.

Wish me luck!

Blog Entries

Good Luck!

Rules for riders:
    1. Always wear a helmet.
    2. See 1. above.
    3. If (helmet = 0) then goto 1.

I got my motorcycle license in 1970 at the tender age of 15. My first bike was a Wards Riverside 125 that I saved up my $1.25 per hour wages for until I could pay cash $125. I worry about the new riders these days that think an entry level bike is a 600 that would have won the world championship 5 years ago. You need to make all your mistakes the first few years at a lower speed than the modern crotch rockets are even stable at. I started my nephews on dual purpose street/dirt bikes that they could ride to school and keep up with traffic but learn the reactions needed to control a bike off the road first. Dirt is softer than asphalt and there are no SUVs to run over you. No one wants to hear it but I have had my AMA card since 1974 and I always recommend your first bike be an off road model that you bought used and can recover your investment quickly when you are ready to trade up. My two cents.
    Last edited by creek; 08-20-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

If you need some riding gear check out Moto Liberty at Royal Ln & I-35.
    They have a ton of stuff & some good deals.

Good advice Creek. I had a 1976 Kawasaki KH-100 city street bike for my first and only motorcycle back in 1985. I got my motorcycle training through the MSF course at the age of 16. My instructor made it clear that spills are inevitable, if you ride long enough, sooner or later you will lay the motorcycle down.

I quit riding after I injured my back on a ski slope. Darned rock in the middle of the path just jumped out in front of me. I lost control of the ski's and the next thing I remember was the ski patrol cutting off my jacket after I had rolled down the hill and wrapped myself around a tree.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    Good Luck!

Rules for riders:
    1. Always wear a helmet.
    2. See 1. above.
    3. If (helmet = 0) then goto 1.

I got my motorcycle license in 1970 at the tender age of 15. My first bike was a Wards Riverside 125 that I saved up my $1.25 per hour wages for until I could pay cash $125. I worry about the new riders these days that think an entry level bike is a 600 that would have won the world championship 5 years ago. You need to make all your mistakes the first few years at a lower speed than the modern crotch rockets are even stable at. I started my nephews on dual purpose street/dirt bikes that they could ride to school and keep up with traffic but learn the reactions needed to control a bike off the road first. Dirt is softer than asphalt and there are no SUVs to run over you. No one wants to hear it but I have had my AMA card since 1974 and I always recommend your first bike be an off road model that you bought used and can recover your investment quickly when you are ready to trade up. My two cents.
    I am looking at getting a Ninja 250R, if I could find one. I keep finding 250R's on craigslist but I just know they are going quickly. A Ninja 500 is also possible for the simple fact that a coworker is considering selling his. FYI: The Ninja 500 is a 50hp carbied bike, so it's supposed to be a little more tame than a ~100-120hp 600cc SS bike. The Ninja 250R would be ideal for me though. I will at least consider your dual sport idea though.

Funny thing is I am having trouble finding bikes because EVERYONE right now is wanting the 250cc to 500cc bikes for gas mileage, so I am getting in at the top of the bubble. The funny part about that is I swear that me getting a bike is unrelated to gas prices. It's more related to the fact that I just finished my Master's degree and I am looking to buy myself a present. Hence taking my time. Maybe I can find a deal as the weather gets worse, but with the mild Texas weather I don't know if I can count on that.

You should just build your own...

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    You should just build your own...

Is the cage for the hamsters that provide the power?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Blog Entries

There used to be a quarterly motorcycle auction in Carrolton called Vehicles in Motion that were open to the general public. I have bought three bikes from them, 2 repos and a demonstrator for unbelievable prices. I hear that they have merged with National Powersports Auctions, it might be worth it to track them down and see when the next auction is. They allowed inspection the day before the auction. I heard that it may be dealer only now but show up and you will find a dealer willing to do the transfer for a few bucks. I bought a Kawasaki Nomad 1500 there once that was 1 year old, 342 miles on it and $6000 dollars below retail (demo).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...=p4506.c0.m245
    Last edited by creek; 08-21-2008 at 08:50 AM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

eBay has the best prices for Gear. Leather and Goretex is alot cheaper on there.

I recommend buying a helmet online, there stock rotates quicker and you're more likely to have a newer manufactured one.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I did the msf course earlier this year and have been riding my ninja 250 to work everyday. I bought my ninja before summer and it was hard finding one then. The buyer put the listing up for less than an hour and it was sold. There was even a guy calling to buy it while i was test riding it. He said it was the third one that was sold before he could get there. I enjoy it but will ride it a few more months before moving up to something bigger. My brother already has his eye on my 250 too. Here is a pic of mine. Good luck finding something. The 500 is a great choice too as you won't grow out of it so fast.

I already got my helmet and gloves from MotoLiberty during their "theft recovery sale" last month. I got Sidi boots for $20 off at a nearby Euro bike shop.

Sorry creek and miatamaniac, I am just a little worried about spending that much money on e-bay, and for gear I prefer to try on before I buy.

So, I went through the classroom portion last night, and I passed of course. Tomorrow, bright and early I will start the skills portion. The first day consisted of going over the book together, watching videos, and taking a final quiz.

I now have my "M" license, and I just got a jacket. My hunt for a bike begins!!!

I already made some calls on a few Ninja 250's, but nothing has panned out. I guess I am not surprised the first weekend has been a dud.