Thread: First Long Drive

Default First Long Drive

The bride and I are on our way to Tampa this weekend for a week. We are taking the Silver Shadow and wanted to know of any tips for a long drive in a small (but fast) Miata?
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Get out & stretch every once in a while...

The hum from the engine will tend to make you very sleepy.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Yeah when I went to Colorado, I got out ever hour to hour and a half and just jogged up 50 feet and back. Helped to stretch and get a little blood flow. Keep her talking, I dont know about you, my GF wont be quite apparently unless we are on a long trip. I had to remind her to keep talking to me, and that kept my eyes open.

I drove straight through to Tampa last year w/ Weapon R coilovers and Koni's Guess I'm a little younger than most of you guys here though, I was fine after the 17 hours there (15 back ), and I only stopped for gas and 2 meals. Granted, I was stopping about every 2 hours for gas
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

TOP DOWN.

I guess I'm older than most of you and 2 hours in any car puts me in the fog, unless the top is down. That keeps me awake better than anything I've tried.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

my advice?
    fly.
    my wife (girlfriend at the time) drove out to Augusta, Georgia, to pick up my current M2. yeah. I'll never drive that far in a car again.
    every 2 hours (on the nose) for fuel, and not enough radio stations in between.

--fueg0

The radio station problem will be taken care of with the XM hookup. I am going to put the bra on for the trip to save my front end as well. I am looking for some fun roads to drive on the way.

Man, some of you guys are wussies. I've done several 24-26 hour drives. I once drove from kansas to oregon and back over a weekend. Left on friday arrived in portland to pick up a car on sat afternoon, and made it back by 6pm on sunday. We did a lot of switching drivers and sleeping against the window.

I've found that sunflower seeds and red bull keep me awake the best.

As much as I love my Miata, I can't stand it as a long-distance cruiser. Scenic drives are one thing, but for making time on the interstate I prefer a comfortable, quiet, solid-rooofed car with a longer wheelbase and softer ride.

The longest I've driven my Miata at a stretch is ~5 hours up to Hallet, towing the tire trailer. On the other hand, I've driven my wife's car ('00 Honda Accord) for 15+ hours at a stretch with no comfort issues - last summer we did a marathon visit to relatives in Iowa and Nebraska, covering 2500+ miles in four days (and one day of that we never used the car at all). The first day of the trip was 1000 miles from door to door, only stopping for gas and grub.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I agree with Altiain.

This is my long distance cruiser -

We've gone from here to El Paso, far Eastern Tennessee, New York, Philly, Baltimore, D.C. and everypoint in between. I don't know if I'd want to take Miata, my wife, and everything she carries with her on a trip. With the (Passat) the highway miles go by alot faster when I can cruise in that boser beast.

Yeah my dad and I took a trip in his 96 impala SS, that car cruises real nice.

As for stops if you’re a history buff go see the USS Alabama.

On the way back from Florida we took an Auto Ferry across Mobile Bay, which was cool!

We have a big 4 door Ram pickemup with leather seats however the price of petrol would eat us alive driving a 5.9 v8 at 80 mph In order to take all of the sound equipment for the install next week by my future son-in law, I have packed my clothes in the Frenzy bag that fits in the trough behind the seats. It leaves the trunk free for the wife's s***

Lots of wimps! My dad drove his M1 (turbo) 1700 miles to get in an M2 (M62) drive 5700 miles in the One Lap of America to finish, get back in the M1 and drive 1700 miles back home. All in 10 days! This was last spring, so he was/is 61 at the time!

I don't know that I could do it, but I've driven out to the Gap twice just for fun!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Suspension Modder

Default Did someone say The Gap?!?

The Gap? Which Gap? DealsGap? Been there on my scooter several times "318 turns in 11 miles" yeee haaa!.....Dogg
    "Never pee off the angle deck"

Just got back from a 3000 miler with absolutely no problems. Did use a rolled up towel for a lumbar support though. Even passed an old grandpa driving a Mazdaspeed in the slow lane. I believe I was doing 85 at the time. BTW, Florida State troopers are real nice

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    Florida State troopers are real nice
    Yes. Yes they are... lived in Florida for a couple of years...and if it were not for the nice troopers, I may not have a license. Oh, my younger days!