Thread: Shift boot

Question Shift boot

Well, I've been wanting to get a new shift boot for a while, seeing as the OEM one has a hole in it. I've also been wanting to get a wheel restoration cover from Alan Gun. I'd been toying with the idea of black leather with red stiching. The other day I was in Jo-Anne's fabrics with my G/F, and saw a 1/3 of a yard automotive grade black vinyl upholstry material. This isn't the thin stuff, I couldn't tell if it was leather or vinyl at first. For $5 I couldn't turn it down. Anyways, i had some brown el-cheapo vinyl laying around from a finished project and put my seamstress skills to work. Hopefully my stiching skills will be better 2nd time around. Do y'all think it looks ok? Suggestions? I'm thinking on the real deal I should do a row of stiching around the mouth...

Keep in mind the real deal would be constructed of a nicer material... not shiny and plasticy looking.

If anyone wants the sample one they are welcome to it, however it might be a bit small.

Not to nitpick (and I applaud you for taking the initiative to actually make your own parts) but the seam will look much more professional if you make it a double French seam. I used to live with a woman that sewed, if you're wondering how I know.

Google is your friend, but basically at each seam, you put the fabric right sides together, leave 3/16" or so at the edge and sew together. Then, fold back the two 3/16" edges, flatten them against the piece they are part of, and sew them down flat. What you see when you turn the piece right side out is the leather butted together at the seam and a row of stitching on either side of the seam. Look at pretty much any leather car interior. A Mazdaspeed Miata, for instance, has this stitching on its seats.

I am impressed with Cwisenheimer's knowledge in sewing. It sounds too involved for an average guy to comprehend!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    Not to nitpick (and I applaud you for taking the initiative to actually make your own parts) but the seam will look much more professional if you make it a double French seam.

Thats the kind of advice i was hoping for. While it looks fair, it was missing something. That method would make the cut edges entirely invisible and would be a stronger product from the look of it.

Here is a good pictorial reference for anyone else trying to follow along

http://www.sewneau.com/how.to/french.seam.html

Is there a way to use that method, but keep the baseball stitch? I kinda wanted to do a baseball stitch pattern... Perhaps join the two pieces like in the French seam, but then do a baseball stitch over it? With the French seam there would just be two rows of stitching, as opposed to the chevron looking baseball stitch...

Hey... take a look at this homemade one I found on the Pointy Board - it's one piece of leather.

It was pretty easy to make (or I couldn't do it); I just took the old one and made a pattern that would work with one seam. It ended up looking like a cone with an odd shaped base. I sewed the one seam and punched a few holes to fit over the little hooks under the console. I just rolled the top down a little to form the seal with the shift knob. The leather is really thick and stiff and that is probably why I like it as much as I do.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

pointy board?

<------n00b

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    pointy board?

<------n00b
    Sorry... Miata.net...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

why is it called the pointy board.....

*learns something new daily*

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    why is it called the pointy board...
    Hmmm... not sure, exactly... it just is?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

hmm...... good reason

That's what I thought...

But... whaddaya think of that DIY shift boot? I think I may try it when I get my IL Motorsport console in (like, in the next couple of months, etc...).
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Because you must have a point to your post or the mods delete it.

haha... wow.... i was halfway joking... i didn't expect a whole set of threads on it :P

I guess thats why we all post here....

Well, I finally finished and installed my "final product". I liked the strength of the seam produced by the method cwisenheimer told me about (i hand made a small sample one), but I still liked the baseball stitch look. Paul suggested I could reinforce it by adding material over the back, so that was the course I took, and it appears to have worked... it has been in the car a week now, and still looks good. (at least I think so)

I had a lot of the upholstry vinyl-leather left over, and the steering wheel that Rick gave to me (mine stocker was totally TRASHED). I had thought about doing an Alan Gunn Restorative kit, but at about $60 it was kinda expensive. Plus, Rick had been beaming about his aftermarket wheel.... and it has me thinking I may want one eventually. Anyways, in the meantime, I put the scrap of material, the thread, and a few hours to good use. Did one section a night over 4 nights. The last section I did, the bottom section, didn't come out as well as I had hoped, I made a mistake and didn't have enough material to start that section over. There is a crease because I didn't measure perfectly.

Shift boot and Steering wheel cost me a total of $7. Material feels good, and its a hell of a lot better than the crappy material cover or pitted wheel that was there. I'm on the lookout for some red vinyl to insert where the horn buttons are.... Eventually, one of my sister's old purses may make a sacrifice.

Blog Entries

That is great work! A star is born.
    Don't worry, the wrinkles will work out with time and sunshine. It may take longer to smooth out than leather but should also last longer.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Nice work, Simon! If you can make it out to the next Wed Nite GTG, I'd like to see it in person...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

thanks all... some of the wrinkles may come out, but I don't think the big one will, as I said, i mis measured, so there is too much material there.
    Car is all shiny though.... next project is the sunvisor blank lights... found some bulbs, have an idea... now i just need more time, lol. Didn't have work today, so I gave both cars a good bath; was a perfect day.

Thumbs up

Simon those look great.