Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I REALLY need a new engine?!

Default Do I REALLY need a new engine?!

(Cross-posted from Miata.net)

FACTS: 2003, manual, 55K, no issues. Ever. Well maintained. Driving to work Thursday morning, notice A/C not really cooling off, then immediately steam from under hood--right front corner (overflow). Exit highway immediately, shut off engine; 2 minutes, max. Rusty (?) water spewing from overflow. Turns out rusty = milky: oil + antifreeze. Local Miata shop says no compression #3, need new engine. That's about all I got from him--any more means tearing into it, which means money...

Shop (rather quickly) found out-of-state used engine 45K miles, $1200 + $350 shipping. Offers 6 month warranty. Shop says do timing belt, clutch, new brake pads (oil soaked) and radiator (due to oil inside). Total cost right at $4000. I've poked around on net and located a near-by 2004 53K engine for $1000, 90-day (!) warranty.

I've haven't time or inclination to do the work myself.

Does this all sound about right...? Are there more questions I should be asking the shop...?

Thoughts?

(for you local folks: "shop" = Miata Technologies. Rant away, it was a matter of logistics...)

Call Steven Boyd at Miata Solutions and talk to him he is the best there is in the DFW area IMHO!

http://www.miatasolutions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TMFShinsen View Post
    (for you local folks: "shop" = Miata Technologies. Rant away, it was a matter of logistics...)
    It would be worth a towing fee to get a second opinion from anyone besides Miata Technologies. Seriously. From the stories I've heard, they are absolutely nothing but criminals. Stevan (Rogue) is a good guy, on the west side of town, definitely worth calling. Gary (trackdog) is not far from Miata Tech, but is probably swamped getting cars ready for Hallett - but again, it's worth a shot (http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/contact.htm).

Sounds like they're buttering you up for a lot of extra work that you wouldn't need even if you were replacing the engine (sounds kinda like a head gasket to me, not a blown engine). Timing belt? Not a bad idea on a used engine, but that shouldn't be a whole lot of labor with the motor out of the car (and the parts are pretty cheap). A new radiator? Flush out the old one, it's only got 55K on it. New brake pads? How the hell did oil get on the brakes? New clutch? Maybe if the rear main seal blew out.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

+1 for Stevan
    99 Miata Black

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    It would be worth a towing fee to get a second opinion from anyone besides Miata Technologies. Seriously. From the stories I've heard, they are absolutely nothing but criminals. Stevan (Rogue) is a good guy, on the west side of town, definitely worth calling. Gary (trackdog) is not far from Miata Tech, but is probably swamped getting cars ready for Hallett - but again, it's worth a shot (http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/contact.htm).

Sounds like they're buttering you up for a lot of extra work that you wouldn't need even if you were replacing the engine (sounds kinda like a head gasket to me, not a blown engine). Timing belt? Not a bad idea on a used engine, but that shouldn't be a whole lot of labor with the motor out of the car (and the parts are pretty cheap). A new radiator? Flush out the old one, it's only got 55K on it. New brake pads? How the hell did oil get on the brakes? New clutch? Maybe if the rear main seal blew out.
    Totally agree sounds like a bunch of BS!

New radiator? New Brakes? I'm surprised you don't need your differential replaced as well, oil might have touched it as well...

Get thee away, posthaste.

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me... I had the same symptoms in my Supra.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Get a 2nd opinion, whether it's Stevan or Gary or just one of the guys from this board doing a compression check (Bam or boisking). Good luck!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Get a second opinion. I'll agree with several of the others that have already posted - sounds like a blown head gasket to me. New head gasket, maybe some machining on the head, and you should be good to go.

$4k is waaaaaay too much for an engine replacement. Then again, I wouldn't let Tom McGrath touch my engine even if he offered to do it for free.

FWIW, I had my '99 engine pulled, rebuilt (all new rings, bearings, and seals, plus a new water pump, oil pump, valve machining, decked block and shaved head) and reinstalled for $1750 a couple of years ago from John Day Custom Engines in Richardson. Give them a call at 972-235-7405.

You can also try Don Marvel at Marvelspeed: 972-475-6448. Should be in the same ballpark price-wise as John Day.

No matter what else you do, your first step should be to get your car out of Miata Technologies. Seriously.
    Last edited by altiain; 09-02-2008 at 07:27 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

The thing about McGrath is not so much that he will screw up your car, but will do so repeatedly while charging you to fix revise his mistakes. This is what I've heard firsthand from more than one former customer.

I have been very happy with the work Stevan did on my car, and can also vouch for the quality of Gary's work. But if we are sounding too much like a cult, go to ANY Mazda dealership before you go to Miata Technologies. Even if his diagnosis is right, his work won't be.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you do end up at Miata Technologies (and I really hope you don't), be sure to inventory your car and make sure everything is intact. Get your car out of there ASAP!

Check with Stevan or Gary.

From some of the other horror stories I've heard, I'd get it out of their shop ASAP, or you just might find that your brakes and engine have already been swapped for base model parts or an even worse off engine.
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 09-02-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Damn looks like Sammm beat me to it... Kudos to you sir
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Thumbs up

Thanks, boys...

What a perfect ending to a perfect day!

Nothing a little Tylenol PM washed down with Scotch won't fix though...

I'll ring up some of these guys in the morning and see what 's next.

I'll let you know...

TMF

Please do not even consider MT, you would be better off at a no name shop in South Dallas, seriously. I am working on another MT/S major screw up that is going to get ugly for them by the customer. He uses Stoid Racing who is just as bad so by extra careful. (I cleaned this up a little)

Our shop is at Plano Rd. and Miller Rd. so sounds like we are close by. Be glad to give you a quote.

Gary
    TDR
    214-340-9797
    Last edited by trackdog; 09-03-2008 at 12:14 PM.
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Gary Shuhart and John Day are FTW!!!

Isn't MT the company who sold the 1.8 car with the 1.6 engine and brakes? I have a spare 1.6 motor and brakes, maybe I should call them and sell this stuff.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    ....Isn't MT the company who sold the 1.8 car with the 1.6 engine and brakes? .....
    That's exactly the story I was thinking of when I wrote my earlier post.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    That's exactly the story I was thinking of when I wrote my earlier post.
    +1 ... that's why I mentioned taking inventory on the car.

any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    any updates?
    I'm willing to bet any amount of money that the next update will reveal that the car is at TDR.

Quote Originally Posted by mk2tmr2 View Post
    I'm willing to bet any amount of money that the next update will reveal that the car is at TDR.
    Well... we're at least hoping that is the next update...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast