Thread: Just bought my first Miata!!!

Default Just bought my first Miata!!!

Hello, I just bought my first Miata and live in Mansfield. It is a 92 classic red with 78k and the A package. I am having a few issues with it. So far I have replaced the back window, ac and alt belts, oil, tranny fluid, air filter, radiator fluid (It had a new radiator and did not need it). I am concerned about the timing belt as I do not know if it was changed at 60k. I found out today that it had a bent wheel (65mph shimmy badly) when I took it to get the tires balanced (found a place that had a Hunter 9700 GSP). I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Miata Heaven is only 4 miles from my house. Stopped in and picked a aluminum alloy wheel up for $25. Pretty cool. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and say hello.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Hey Cahampion1 welcome to the madness. Sorry about all the stuff you're having to deal with, but it is absolutely the best car I've ever owned.

Keep checking in and come join us when you can.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Hello and welcome aboard!

I envy you already... I have yet to hit Miata Heaven!
    Heck... you've got a VW Bus load of parts to take to them...

Welcome to the madness, Champion1!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome Champion1! Red '92 A package huh? Good choice!

Welcome to the board!

You'll want to check your spark plug wires for oil - if you find it that means you need to replace the valve cover gasket... and also check the CAS O-ring. The CAS is the round unit on the back passenger side of the valve cover. Just run your finger under it & see if it comes back all oil covered.

The O-ring is very easy to replace but you need to make sure you mark it before you move it. You want to get it lined back up right

Other than that, the Miata likes to eat spark plug wires. Use good ones.

The car will last you a long long time as long as you stay away from SUV driving soccer moms.

Once you get that normal maintenance stuff done it will be time to sink money into modifications - THAT is where the addiction becomes serious!

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Welcome to the board. Your the third member I know of in Mansfield. Mark-4 (right guys?) is from here as am I. I'm driving around in a Silver '90 model with ArlingtonComputers.com wrote across the rear quarter panels, dual exhaust and a little surprise under the hood, for the Mustang crowd, that I call Total Happiness.

I too need to go by Miata Heaven, as I've never been. However I have a list of things I'd like to pickup: like a fresher tranny, and possibly a torsen rear-end. But 1st I'm going to see how bad my tax bill is this year.

As far as your Timing belt goes, if you can't get in touch with the previous owners to find out if the timing belt has been done, then just drive the car to 100,000 miles then replace it. I've seen several right ups that suggest 105k miles vs. the 60k recommended in the book. If you do it at 100k then you should be fine. If it was replaced at 60k, then you will be changing it a little early. If it was never replaced, then at 100k you would be changing a little late but shouldn't experience any mechanical failure. Also when you do the T-Belt, don't forget to replace the Water Pump, as it's just about guaranteed it will fail within 10k miles of replacing the T-belt if it is not replaced at that time. Plus you are already there when changing the T-Belt. [/i]

In the unlikely event you do experience T-Belt failure, it will only cost you the time of the inconvenience and tow. The Miata won't suffer from bent valves like most cars because it's a non-interference motor.

See you around.

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.