Thread: clutch gone

Chassis Designer

Default clutch gone

went to work this morning and all was fine car shifted with no problem. Came out this afternoon and pedal went to floor . Was able to get from reverse to low and could shift into all gears while going . Stopped and then would not shift pedal real low to floor
    Got home and checked fluid level and then looked at slave cylinder . When working the clutch pedal the slave would work the fork back and forth
    Think maybe pressure plate forks broke
    Any ideas before having one put in
    Have a guy for roughly 350.00 furnish clutch,pressure plate,throw out bearing ,pilot bearing and face flywheel and guarntee 1 year no limit on mileage
    Thought this was cheap enough

Exclamation Before you do ANYTHING...

check with Rogue...Miata Solutions

I'd put my money on the Clutch Hydraulics (slave or master).

The clutch almost always shows signs of slipping before it just shits the bed.

What year is the car and how many miles on it??

Chassis Designer

Default clutch gone

it is a 96 with roughly 70,000 miles on it .
    Pos I do agree with you, even driving an old standard shift there was usually always a sign that it was going . You would either get some squealing or slippage or something
    The only time I have ever seen this is when the clutch springs or the forks on the pressure plate collapse .
    I did chek the master and slave and both appear to be working. When the clutch pedal is pushed down you can see the rod from the slave pushing the throwout bearing fork and releasing it
    I did notice a little slack between the rod of the slave and where it sets aganist the fork of the bearing . Possible there is not enough throw but it looks like there is.
    I see no leak around the slave or master ,is there a way to test both for failure before I have the rebuild done ?

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    When working the clutch pedal the slave would work the fork back and forth. Think maybe pressure plate forks broke
    But, is the fork move enough to actually to move the gears? Check your hydraulic line for leak, especially the rubber hose close the fire wall connecting the hard lines. The leak from this area is very small that you won't find puddle on the ground, but lets out enough pressure that you can not shift. Don't ask me how I know.
    Gabriel

Chassis Designer

Default clutch gone

The master cylinder is still full of fluid,so I think any sort of leak and it would be really low or empty
    I will go over it again tomorrow and recheck everything

Squeeze the rubber boot on the slave cylinder and see if you have fluid come out. If so, replace the slave.

It's a common problem point.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Rebuilding both is cheap and can take under an hour. Leaks are not always indicative.

I have had both go bad on me. The master seal went out and the clutch would not stay engaged.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I agree. Sounds very much like the symptoms I had when my master/slave cylinders needed to be replaced. You're best bet is to replace or rebuild both and certainly cheaper and easier than a new clutch. My current clutch has almost 100k miles on it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I had similar issues. I replaced the slave cylinder which needed replacing, but it was not the problem. I then replaced the master cylinder and all issues were resolved. My master cylinder was also not leaking and full of fluid.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I would certainly replace the slave cylinder anyway. With that low mileage, can't image it being anything else. It's quick, cheap, and you haven't lost a thing if it doesn't fix it.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

What happens when you pump the clutch 4-5 times, will it allow you to engage the shifter? If this is the case it is hydralic. Slave kits are about $7 and take about 1 minute to rebuild so consider doing this if necessary verses buying a new or rebuild. We rarely see a failed internal clutch due to mechanical failure, but anything is possible. Making any different noise?

Try pumping first and see if this build enough pressure for yoiu to shift and go from there.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Chassis Designer

Default clutch gone

Ok Let me get this off my chest.
    I came on here and said the clutch was gone
    The next thing I know everyone is hopping on the band wagon saying its the slave its the master ,replace both replace the slave replace the master . Does it pump does it it do this and that
    Yadda Yadda yADDA
    Everyone with an opinion
    Well I ain't never had one of the fancy liquid clutch systems in my life out here where I am we still have a dirt floor and cook on a wood burning stove
    Rebuilt the master and installed a new slave oh yeah if you let the plunger get away from you before getting the snap ring in, parts go everywhere
    Finally found all the parts and got everything installed and what do you know for all of you know-it alls
    IT WORKS AND WORKS GREAT I DO APPRECIATE ALL OF THE REPLIES
    and everyone insisting that it was not the clutch .
    saved me a couple of hundred so again Thanks all for the replies

Woohoo!

Glad you got it fixed.

It's a great feeling to take something broken and fix it yourself!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!