Thread: Moan and Groan

Blog Entries

Default Moan and Groan

A little advice needed here. I have a low groan or hum that seems to be coming from the front end while making low speed turns. I keep thinking it has to be coming from the wheel hub(s) but they check out all right and have no play or roughness when turned by hand. It is not the tire rubbing and the brakes have been changed without any effect. I don't think it is bushings or anything rubber because the noise continues throughout the turn. It only occurs at very low speed and applying the brakes does not change the sound. I can not duplicate the sound in the garage. I can sometimes feel the vibration like a strong bass note through the steering wheel. I know that's a lot of info about nothing but the hubs are the only thing not replaced on the car. They are expensive just to "try out". Any other suggestions? Could anything in the rear be groaning? I changed the diff fluid without effect.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

That does sound to be quite the conundrum there. If you want you can try out my 95M hubs, see if that does anything for ya. Also that will give you a reason to stop by and give me a lug nut, Gary didn't have one, and pay me.
    John O.
    94R

I will probably be getting the race cars ready this Sunday in Mesquite if you are over there again, swing by and I can check it out with ya. My right front wheel hub is the only one I have not replaced yet and it just now started making enough noise that I could pin point which hub it was! There is no play or roughness when turning them but it makes noise. Started out as faint "chich chich chich" noise only when real cold, then progressed into louder more often noise. Still no play but to noisy enough now I have to get one cause its driving me nuts!

So, the point of all that is I think it is the wheel hub. Sounds like it is just starting to go out, so there is not enough play to feel but under load in a turn it has enough play to make the noise. Give it a little time and it will be making all kinds of noise at all times. Also, does it happen turning both directions or just one direction? You can usually hear if it is the rear from behind you, and if you are getting that much vibration in the steering wheel then definitely the front hubs.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Agreed......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Driver

typically this is a bearing. I'm not sure how the Miata's front end is setup, but you can't really tell by wobbling the wheel (or rotating it when lifted). It only makes noise (at first) when a lateral load is placed on the bearing (ie. turning). Eventually though it will make noise all the time... then it will disintegrate into a pile of slag and make your life a big pain in the butt.