Thread: please help! coolant leak

Default please help! coolant leak

I i have a coolant leak dripping off my [COLOR=#009600! important][COLOR=#009600! important]oil [COLOR=#009600! important]pan[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] possibly coming from behind my hormonic balancer "it is a short nose 1.6" Any ideas where it could be coming from? Thanks Chase.

Sounds like a water pump failure.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Sounds like a water pump failure.
    +1
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

That is how I knew my water pump had failed
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I just bought the parts yay!........ im doing it tonight my first water pump and timing belt on this car how long will it take....dun dun dun!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    That is how I knew my water pump had failed
    Onething, yours is newer than mine! When did it failed? How long is the water pump supposed to be good for? Mine has over 120K on the clock. I plan doing my TB at 150K. May be I'll replace the pump at that time.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by moosemonkey View Post
    I just bought the parts yay!........ I'm doing it tonight my first water pump and timing belt on this car how long will it take....dun dun dun!!!!
    Depends on your tools, and your familiarity with the job. My 1st one took probably 9 hours, over two days. Most of the problems I had was having to hunt down tools and un-expected o-rings, and having to fix a water leak. It was a learning process. I've done three now, and I've got it down to 4-5 hours. I've seen some people post 3hrs but I just don't work that fast. I always replace all the forward cam seals and the crank seal while I'm there, but suppose I could do the job in 3 hours if I didn't replace those.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by moosemonkey View Post
    ... hormonic balancer ...
    My ex-wife had a problem with that too.
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Mine failed around 60k. I'd suggest the TB at the same time since you're in there.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Having the correct tools is key. Also I'd replace everything that TurboDuane said, but also the o-ring that goes to the water neck at the block. I can do it in bout 3 hours if I'm trying. And no bolts break.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Exclamation

Ahh "short nose" you will need to follow the "lock-tight" directions very carefully, and replace your crank bolt and key on the crank. My first Miata was a short nose and I had no problems with it, but I followed these instructions carefully.

but also the o-ring that goes to the water neck at the block.
    The O-ring on the neck was the one I had to scrounge around for but didn't know what to call it in my earlier post.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Hey guys i did it! Please pray it holds up....