Thread: New GR2s are installed

Driver
    Blog Entries

Default New GR2s are installed

Inspired by the tech day at Pro Tuning Performance on Sunday, I installed the KYB GR2s, today with no help. Took a little over seven hours, cleanup and mis-steps included, reusing all of the original hardware except the shocks. The shocks that came off seemed to have been on the car since it was built, almost 205,000 miles. One of the shocks was totally shot, and the other three weren't in very good shape, either. None of them had the same amount of resistance as any of the others. It did look like someone replaced some of the bump stops at one time - the front ones were yellowish, the rear ones were pink.

The GR2s are a LOT stiffer than the shocks that came out, and the car sits higher. A quick drive showed that body roll is reduced, and all four tires seemed to stay firmly planted around curves. I could feel a lot more of the bumps in the road than with the previous set, but only had to feel each one once.

I'm happy with the GR2s. I hope they last a long time, since that wasn't the most fun car repair I have done.

If anyone else gets inspired, and wants to borrow the $12 Harbor Freight spring compressor, let me know.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

You should have had your own tech day for this, we would have been there for it, Chauncey Gardener style. Hope the GR2's settle down for you soon.

Driver
    Blog Entries

Having people help Chauncey-Gardner-style may have saved me some time, especially if someone would have caught my mistakes before I installed the left rear shock the first time without the plastic gasket, or before I reinstalled the trunk interior with a wratchet and 14mm socket still by the left shock mount, or before I did whatever I did to cause the large, red, area on the inside of my right forearm.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Now you are an expert on NA and NB shock replacement!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.