Thread: Expedition Brakes

Default Expedition Brakes

Well I have been noticing a squeal when I hit the brakes on my ’03 Expedition, come to find out I'm into the front wear indicator at 26,000 miles.....

Now keep in mind this is a lease vehicle that I don't like, I have 11 more months and Ford can have it back.

So in my efforts to be a CB I plan to do the front brakes myself, anyone have any experience with AutoZones brake pads? They look like the most cost effective solution available for the thing.

Link

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Re: Expedition Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Now keep in mind this is a lease vehicle that I don't like, I have 11 more months and Ford can have it back.
    Since it's not yours and you're getting rid of it ASAP, who cares about their quality. If they are cheap, they are good!

As long as they stop you OK then that's all that matters

While you're there you may want to read the Haynes or Chilton books at the counter to make sure you don't have to do anything weird like screwing a caliper back in, etc...

Reading the book instead of buying it should be a TCB approved method.. but since I'm not a member I'll let Sam tell you for sure.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

If you need a brake tool to turn the caliper back in... let me know. I bought this trick set up for my VW awhile back and I don't get to use it enough.

[thread drift]

The first time I went up to Hallet, I was with marcucci and his S2000. On our first day up there, he managed to cook the remaining front pads he had. We happened to find an AutoZone in Tulsa that had S2000 "lifetime warranty" front pads in stock (turns out they're the same part # as some Acura sedan), so we picked up a set, and installed them trackside the next morning.

After another five track sessions and driving home, marcucci had burned the "lifetime warranty" pads down to the wear indicators. So, being the cheap bastard that he was, he popped by his nearest AutoZone for his free replacement set. Well, turns out that you have to show the receipt... and the clerk looked at marcucci mighty funny when he noticed that the set of pads he was replacing was only a little over 48 hours old...

[/thread drift]
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Why not just break the indicator tab? Or that wouldnt look good to lease people would it?

Edit: More thread drift, I have a friend with a hopped up eclipse turbo, and instead of getting a heavy duty clutch and roasting tires, he has an autozone lifetime replacement clutch and just gets a new one of those when he frys it. Yeah it takes a little while to replace, but not if you get practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Why not just break the indicator tab? Or that wouldnt look good to lease people would it?
    That did cross my mind, but I figure I need it to stop....

hahahaha

Doing that would depend on your ethics and how much you still have to drive it on the lease... If ya had 2 weeks then snip!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    If ya had 2 weeks then snip!
    Try and pay attention CM.
    If it was only 2 weeks they'd get it back just they way it is. I take it you have never leased a vehicle before. They are very easy on the return vehicle when you start talking about the replacement vehicle. Well at least that has been the case on my last 4 leased vehicles.

But my lazy ash just didn't feel like messing with the 'spedition brakes so it will have to wait for another day.

Nah... I've never leased a vehicle. I put WAY too many miles on them (about 24 to 30k a year)

RJ

Well I have been driving the POS a bunch and have just been letting the Expedition sit. Yesterday we drove the Expeedition for a family deal and when I was going thru the drive thru at McSpankey's I commented to the lovely Vivid that someone had some really squeaky brakes!

She gave me that look and said, “Yea that would be us sparky.”.

Looks like I need to get off my ash and fix this thing!

Gohead and pop them in. I THINK the Expedition uses the same brakes as the Cobra. If so, retract them slowly usin just pad pressure from a c-clamp.

You need to be careful not to put too much hydro pressure on the ABS module. That being said, its still no big deal. I'd give you a hand if it was over 60 degrees.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Well crap it looks like it killed a set of front rotors along with the pads at 28,000 miles built ford tough my ash!

Anyone know of a place for cheap rotors?

The 2000 Expedition I turned in to get this one never needed anything but gas and oil changes over the term of the lease, this one is a totally different animal............

Well crap it looks like it killed a set of front rotors along with the pads at 28,000 miles built ford tough my ash!

The 2000 Expedition I turned in to get this one never needed anything but gas and oil changes over the term of the lease, this one is a totally different animal............
    You been letting Vivid drive this one? Rotors in 28k? Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser

You been letting Vivid drive this one? Rotors in 28k? Yeesh.
    Well actually it has been sitting for the most part in front of the house.

Just got in from pulling the front wheels off the 'spedidition to see what we got. The rotors wore in nice and even without and deep groves so I'm going to rough up the rotors and chuck some new pads on it tomorrow and see how it goes.

It is done! The OEM pads were thin ! Slapped the new pads in and went for a test drive and all is well! No noise and the mastodon even slows down when you apply the brakes!

Good to hear! I have a hunch you won't be going for another Expedition in 10 months... have you started to think about what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Good to hear! I have a hunch you won't be going for another Expedition in 10 months... have you started to think about what's next?
    No more Expeditions for me 2 has been enough. Going to go with something more car like. Just not sure what yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Wait around for the MazdaSpeed 6!!!!
    Yea I want to see that, looks a lot less ricey than the Evo and the Subaru STI.