Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo T1R or Hankook RS2 ???

Default Toyo T1R or Hankook RS2 ???

I am looking at new tires for my 15x8 Rota RBs. I have narrowed it down to 215-45-15 Toyo T1Rs or 225-45-15 Hankook RS2s. This will be mostly for street use, as I can through on my junk 14s with Azenis if I do a track or autocross event. Wear is not an issue as the car is only driven about 6k miles a year at this point. I am looking for something grippy and fun for the street that isn't too noisy or stiff. Thoughts?

go for the RS-2
    Blah blah blah!

I haven't driven the T1R's, but by looking at the sizes, I'd go with the RS2's. I like to have more rubber on the road.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I've had T1-R's for my daily use tires about 3 yrs; they're almost down to the wear bars. Very easy to live with and surprisingly grippy. Great in the rain too. Probably not in the same league as an autocross "street tire" but those are generally not renowned as comfy daily driver tires either. I would not hesitate to buy another set.

I'm just a single data point but I see my new Direzzas w/full tread are 5.5 lbs heavier than my worn T1-R's in exactly the same wheel and tire size (195/55 on OE 15x6). I do not recall how that compares to the published weights.

second recomendationfor the toyo T1-R. Really happy with the way they perform on the street. Heck even my wife noticed the difference over the old tires we had.

Too add to the discussion, the T1rs are 17.6 lbs and the RS2s are 20 lbs. Being that the wheels are a little on the heavy side at 15.5 lbs, I'm thinking it might do me some good to loose some tire weight?

My butt can feel a 2 lb difference in unsprung weight. Never tested anything smaller.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    ...I can [throw] on my junk 14s with Azenis if I do a track or autocross event.
    But what are the odds of that actually happening?

How's the sidewall on the RS2? The Toyo squish is nice on a daily compared to something stiff like Azenis. I loved the T1S in the wet.

Heck, I'd pick the Toyo just for the weight difference if I drove more than 2K mi/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    But what are the odds of that actually happening?
    Throwing them on, or getting back in to attending track and autocross events?

Why not run Azenis full time? Great in dry weather and not bad in rainy conditions.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Blog Entries

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/8031/

I bought these to use as street tires on my new wheels and I have been very happy with the ride and the grip. I haven't had them long enough to wear the nubs off so I couldn't say about treadlife. BTW the tires balance with very little weight. 0,.5,1.5 and 1.5 ounces for the set. I lost nearly 5 pounds per wheel and tire combo over the stock wheels with Azzenis and you can really feel the difference.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    My butt can feel a 2 lb difference in unsprung weight. Never tested anything smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    Why not run Azenis full time? Great in dry weather and not bad in rainy conditions.
    Don't get me wrong... I love Azenis and have used up a few sets of them, but....
    1) I already have nearly new Azenis on my 14" wheels, and I don't feel like being redundant.
    2) I'd like something a little quieter and with a slightly softer sidewall.
    3) There is nothing in a size that is optimal for a 15x8 wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/8031/

I bought these to use as street tires on my new wheels and I have been very happy with the ride and the grip. I haven't had them long enough to wear the nubs off so I couldn't say about treadlife. BTW the tires balance with very little weight. 0,.5,1.5 and 1.5 ounces for the set. I lost nearly 5 pounds per wheel and tire combo over the stock wheels with Azzenis and you can really feel the difference.
    Size is an issue. In fact, no one makes anything for the street in an optimal size for 15x8s on a Miata other than the T1R and the RS2.

My vote is for the Rs-2's. great straight line grip, no noise when the rear end was hanging out around corners, good wet weather performance(Shi^%y ice performance)
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

I have nothing but good things to say about my T1R's. I chose them because of their weight to offset my weight increase in larger rim upgrade. They did take almost 500 miles to break in though and they take a lap or two on the track to heat up. Haven't autocrossed with them.

RS-2's if you plan on very rarely driving your car having an awesome amount of grip.

T1R's if you don't drive your car even 5/10's.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    RS-2's if you plan on very rarely driving your car having an awesome amount of grip.

T1R's if you don't drive your car even 5/10's.
    Diesel boy say what?

Daily street tire? T1-R, baby!!
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Diesel boy say what?
    8,000 miles a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast