Thread: Car detailing help

Default Car detailing help

OK... I haven't done any self detailing in years, but I bought some stuff and want to give it a try. I picked up 2 different Meguiar's box sets that were on sale for really cheap. I ended up with a cabinet full of stuff, and I have no clue which products to use and in which order. Here is what I ended up with:

Meguiar’s Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
    Meguiar’s Gold Class Liquid Wax
    Meguiar’s Gold Class Endurance High Gloss
    Meguiar’s Quick Interior Detailer (2)
    Meguiar’s Quick Detailer (2)
    Meguiar’s Quick Wheel Detailer
    Meguiar’s PlastX
    Meguiar’s ScratchX
    Meguiar’s Clay Bars (2)
    Meguiar’s Microfiber Wash Mitt
    Meguiar’s Microfiber Towel (2)
    Meguiar’s Foam Applicator Pad

There are vague instructions on each bottle, but nothing that tells me what order to do things, what is redundant, and what tools (mitt/towels/pad) to use with which product. The car is a mess and I want to make it look nice. Can anyone tell what I should use and and in what order? Is there any products that I should get to supplement what I have?

Thanks!

*Yes, I read the XM_Rocks sticky how too, but I already have specific products different from what he discusses, and I don't have a PC.

How about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    *Yes, I read the XM_Rocks sticky how too, but I already have specific products different from what he discusses, and I don't have a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    How about this?

I would probably wash first then claybar, wash again then go over the car with a coat of Scratch-X if it needs it. You won't be able to take out any serious swirl marks (especially if you don't have a machine) but it will get some light stuff out. I would then find out which of the wax products you have is the most durable and use that as a base coat then go over with the caranuba to give it the wet shine.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    OK... I haven't done any self detailing in years, but I bought some stuff and want to give it a try. I picked up 2 different Meguiar's box sets that were on sale for really cheap. I ended up with a cabinet full of stuff, and I have no clue which products to use and in which order. Here is what I ended up with:

Meguiar’s Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
    Meguiar’s Gold Class Liquid Wax
    Meguiar’s Gold Class Endurance High Gloss
    Meguiar’s Quick Interior Detailer (2)
    Meguiar’s Quick Detailer (2)
    Meguiar’s Quick Wheel Detailer
    Meguiar’s PlastX
    Meguiar’s ScratchX
    Meguiar’s Clay Bars (2)
    Meguiar’s Microfiber Wash Mitt
    Meguiar’s Microfiber Towel (2)
    Meguiar’s Foam Applicator Pad

There are vague instructions on each bottle, but nothing that tells me what order to do things, what is redundant, and what tools (mitt/towels/pad) to use with which product. The car is a mess and I want to make it look nice. Can anyone tell what I should use and and in what order? Is there any products that I should get to supplement what I have?

Thanks!

Ok, here you go in the order to be used. If you don't have a buffer I would suggest you buy one more Meguiar’s Microfiber Towel so you have 3 of them. You will use all 3 as you read on.

Meguiar’s Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner: Use this first to clean the car top to bottom. Use the wash mitt for this.

Meguiar’s Clay Bars: Now use this on any road grime, or contaminants that didn't come off with washing. After that was car again with the first item.

After you have washed the second time if required, or the first time if you didn't use the Clay Bar be sure to dry your car using one of the Microfiber towels.

Meguiar’s ScratchX: Now use this on any scratches you may find, be sure to apply and buff it with a Microfiber cloth/ Towel. I found an article that stated that using a Terry cloth may leave other marks. Here is the link to that.
    http://www.properautocare.com/mescxscre.html

Meguiar’s PlastX: Now use this on any clear plastics you have on the car. My 01 Miata has clear headlight covers so I would use it on there, and I would use it on the fog lights as well.

Meguiar’s Quick Wheel Detailer: I would now use this to clean your rims. All you have to do is spray all of your rims surfaces and walk away, no rinsing required.

Now take a quick drink break oh say 5 minutes.

Meguiar’s Gold Class Endurance High Gloss: Follow the directions and be sure to apply thoroughly to not miss any part of the tire.

Meguiar’s Gold Class Liquid Wax or Meguiar’s Quick Detailer: If you haven't waxed your car in a while then use the Liquid Wax, and then next time you wash your car you can use the Quick Detailer. This is where you will use the Meguiar’s Foam Applicator Pad to apply the wax, or Quick Detailer which ever one you are using, or if you have a buffer use one buffing pad to apply these. Now remember to follow the directions and do one section of the car at a time for appling then remove it before you start the next section of your car. Now use the the last Meguiar’s Microfiber Towel to remove it, if you have a buffer use the second buffing cloth for removing.

Meguiar’s Quick Interior Detailer: This is the last thing to use, well at least the last thing I would use cause I always save my interior for last. Just use a rag to apply it as directed on the bottle.

There you go you are all done. Hope this helps you out on detailing your car. I know now reading all that I looked up for these products I need to go buy me this kit you have. I think it will be better then what I normally use.

Perfect... that is extremely helpful amdman.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Wow a straight and informative answer amdman, that sort of thing could get you a around here

I'm not sure I followed all the steps. Would you like to come over and demo on my car tomorrow? I'd invite Titus, but then it would rain
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Blog Entries

I guess I get to buy a new buffer. I was going to buff out the new hardtop today and after getting everything ready the buffer wouldn't run. Oh well, I know where Harbor Freight is.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Wow a straight and informative answer amdman, that sort of thing could get you a around here

I'm not sure I followed all the steps. Would you like to come over and demo on my car tomorrow? I'd invite Titus, but then it would rain
    Well thank you so much, but I think you are better off doing it yourself I am sure you can handle it LOL

Exclamation

I'd be careful with the Scratch X since I'm pretty sure your '92 doesn't have a clearcoat finish.

It will tend to remove paint and much like hair if you lose enough paint people will notice.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I'd be careful with the Scratch X since I'm pretty sure your '92 doesn't have a clearcoat finish.

It will tend to remove paint and much like hair if you lose enough paint people will notice.
    Finally! The Master Detailer speaks!