Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Miata Owner and Fan

Welcome to the Miata world, I used to drag race until I figured out it was fun to turn right and left also.........
    check out http://www.autocross.com/ for infor on auto X
    check out http://www.thedriversedge.net/ for info on track events
    There are lots of choices to do either in N Texas, have fun.

Blog Entries

Autocross is a blast. It seems as if the Miata was purpose bulit for it and it outnumbers any other type of car at most events. Just show up, sign up and ask a million questions like I did. I just finished my first season and didn't buy anything for my car that I regreted later because I got advice or looked at everybody elses car before I bought anything. This winter I am making the first major mods to the car (shocks, bump stops, sway bar and roll bar) that I decided on this summer. I hope to try the track days this year. If your car is not ready for competition, come out anyway and drive or ride in one of ours. You are welcome anytime.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Ok, I am going over that book right now. That is tons of good information for me. I think my car is good for the autocross for a beginner. I will take all this advise I am getting and run with it per say.

I do like the idea of next year talking to people and making a game plan of what I will need to buy and install to better my car. I do know that I am seriously looking at going either Turbo or Supercharged and from talking to my friend and now reading more on it, I am leaning towards the Supercharged. The supercharged idea seems like it would help out in the autocross racing more then the turbo would and it would also work well for the drag racing as well.

I am new to all this as I have stated so any ideas on this would be great. I know I won't be doing anything untill I have experianced the autocross for one full season. You know don't want to do something and then find out that is wasn't the best thing to do after all.

Ok well back to reading that autocross guide. Thanks again and I will keep checking back and can't wait to meet all of you some time soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Good stuff on Autocross - http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=1626

I don't think any of our track guys have done a similar writeup (yet).

When I click on this link
    (An article by our very own Tailchaser will give you some great information on Autocrossing, with specifics about Autocrossing in our area (DFW).)

it says, You are not authorized to view this resource.
    You need to login.

What do I need to be able to read this article. I believe I am loged in since I am posting on here, or is there a differant login for that section?

OK, see told you more questions to come. LOL OK, so been reading this book and anyone on here have sponsors for autocross? I know I can't say I want I sponsor, you have to earn sponsorship this I know. Just wondering if anyone on here who is doing it has been offered and is currently being sponsored?

These are the things I find cool. I would have never thought there would be something like this and there are actual sponsors for this. Ok back to reading.

Oh ya thanks for checking on that link for me, glad to know I wasn't missing something there. I will keep checking back to find out when the link is fixed and to see if anyone else has posted on here. Thanks again for the info.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by amdman View Post
    thanks for checking on that link for me
    Go to the main page and sign-on with your same ID and password -
    http://www.dfwmiata.com/

Here's the link you probably want -
    http://www.dfwmiata.com/content/view/25/50/

Ok, it is working for me now and I am reading it. Thanks for the help. More reading and learning all about this. Thanks again

I just love a happy ending (sniffle/cry) welcome to the forum
    '08 GG/Blk GT 6M 2PR 1SP Eibach spring/sways Tenzo-R GF-7 wheels Good-win RS II w/glspak inserts " Save the Wave ! "

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Here is a couple of videos. My car is stock, well SCCA E Stock legal, on street tires with no roll bar or racing seat.

First video is from Hallet Motor Racing Circuit in Oklahoma. This event was for Miatas only and I was in the novice group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTXgLMro4Hk

Second video is from an autocross at Mineral Wells Airpark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ack0cHu5I8E
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Ok, the road course video was cool, but I am liking the looks of the autocross video even better. I like a good challenge and it looks like the autocross is way more of a challenge then the road course but I also know looks can be decieving, but non the less I am going to check out this autocross idea next season.

Still wondering, I read about people getting sponsorship from racing and winning in autocross when I was reading that book. Has anyone on here gotten sponsorship, or been to the finals/nationtionals?

Blog Entries

At the local level the main "sponsorship" is in the form of free tires given away in drawings at the end of the season. Every event you enter with certain brands of tires you get one chance in the drawing for that brand.

I don't remember all the brands this year but they included: Hoosier, Yokohama and Falken. Tires are definitely one of the things you want to ask around about. Like they say it's the only thing touching the pavement.
    Stripe Das Sape

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    At the local level the main "sponsorship" is in the form of free tires given away in drawings at the end of the season. Every event you enter with certain brands of tires you get one chance in the drawing for that brand.

I don't remember all the brands this year but they included: Hoosier, Yokohama and Falken. Tires are definitely one of the things you want to ask around about. Like they say it's the only thing touching the pavement.

That is cool. So talking about tires, right now I am using Pirrelli which came on the car. I have been doing a lot of reading and I am seeing talk about Falken, Kumho, Hoosier, and Yokohama. I know from reading that if you want to be part of that drawing and be able to place an entry at each event you have to have one of those 4 brands. I also know that tires are like the number 1 thing I need to focus on having before I worry about turbo, or supercharge upgrades.

I have always liked Yokohama tires, but I mainly find all the talk to be about Kumho or Hoosier mainly do to the fact that they both offer a wet and dry condition tire. I have read that this is a good thing so if it starts raining half way into the event or it dries up half way through the event you can switch the type of tire you are using but still be qualified to race as long as you keep with the brand you started with.

Ok well here is the question. I know I can't afford 2 sets of tires one for wet one for dry well at least not for the 09 season. What brand and series of that brand would you suggest and why. I know I have asked a million questions already and I am sure I will ask a million more. Thanks for all the input. Everything I have read has been dead on, people in this sport actually do share info and don't mind doing so.

Blog Entries

I spent my first season in the Novice class on street legal tires on the stock rims (required for stock classes). Falken Azenis. If you go to slicks you have to tow the car or tow the tires to the event and change them out on site. More than I wanted to do the first year mainly because of expense: tires, wheels, trailer, hitch, etc. Most of the guys running streetable tires around here are on Azenis. You can certainly just run what you got.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1536/
    Stripe Das Sape

Ok, I am looking at those tires and have to ask another question. That link you put up are for 17" tires, and I have even noticed in a few of the things I have been reading the talk is about 17" tires. Why 17" and not 16" tires?

As I said I am running Pirrelli right now and they are Pirreli P6 205/50 R16's.

Just tring to understand why the 17" tires seem to be a big thing to have.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

You have to run the size wheels that came on your car. Unless you are ready to jump into some non-stock class, and you don't want to do that yet.

When you move up from novice to one of the stock classes ( CS ), you can run race tires. Then you may be interested in wet and dry tires, but they will still have to be the size that came on your car. If you decide to buy a second set of wheels in 16, you will be forced to spend a ton on anything lighter than Miata wheels.

Light wheels = fast
    Shiney wheels = bling

You picked the best/worst time of the year to get interested. All the time in the world to read and ask questions, but no chance for seat time.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    You have to run the size wheels that came on your car. Unless you are ready to jump into some non-stock class, and you don't want to do that yet.

When you move up from novice to one of the stock classes ( CS ), you can run race tires. Then you may be interested in wet and dry tires, but they will still have to be the size that came on your car. If you decide to buy a second set of wheels in 16, you will be forced to spend a ton on anything lighter than Miata wheels.

Light wheels = fast
    Shiney wheels = bling

You picked the best/worst time of the year to get interested. All the time in the world to read and ask questions, but no chance for seat time.
    Ok what comes stock on the miata, cause when I bot the car it came with the P205/50 R16's. If these aren't the stock size then I need to know so I can make sure I get the correct size that came stock on the car so I don't have any worries when it comes to that part of the car. Thanks for all the info and yes I know I won't be getting any seat time but this allows me to have plenty of time to get the car preped for when the season starts.

I also need to know about the SCCA membership. Is it too early to sign up for membership? If not do I need some special information for the discounted price that I read about on here?

Lightbulb

Ok what comes stock on the miata, cause when I bot the car it came with the P205/50 R16's. If these aren't the stock size then I need to know so I can make sure I get the correct size that came stock on the car so I don't have any worries when it comes to that part of the car. Thanks for all the info and yes I know I won't be getting any seat time but this allows me to have plenty of time to get the car preped for when the season starts.

I also need to know about the SCCA membership. Is it too early to sign up for membership? If not do I need some special information for the discounted price that I read about on here?
    Why not start a new post in the Autocross Tech & Technique section.

It is fun and free give it a try!

Blog Entries

Ok, I am looking at those tires and have to ask another question. That link you put up are for 17" tires, and I have even noticed in a few of the things I have been reading the talk is about 17" tires. Why 17" and not 16" tires?

As I said I am running Pirrelli right now and they are Pirreli P6 205/50 R16's.

Just tring to understand why the 17" tires seem to be a big thing to have.
    I was just guessing on tire size. I put it up as an example of the tire. You can change the size on the website to whatever you have.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/1533/
    Last edited by creek; 12-07-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    Stripe Das Sape

Thank you all so much sorry I dragged this out in the introduce myself section just got all caute up in my own questions. I have moved all further questions into the tech sections as requested. Thanks again.

samrawet

welcome and thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12