Thread: Which to buy, Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

Question Which to buy, Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

Ok, I'm looking to get my kids (early teens) one of these for Christmas and I'm not sure which one to get. saw rock band at WM for $99 last night. Guitar Hero world tour was $179.

Looked like GH had a much better song selection covering many more genres. Thought about just getting the GH dual guitar set but I'm not sure if I can buy drums and mic seperately later to add to it to create a full "world tour" set.

Anybody that's tried these have any suggestions on which to get? is the equipment better on one than the other?

Oh, yeah, the kids have a PS2. won't be upgrading until the PS3 prices come way on down

Thanks,
    Keith
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

Oh darn good question!

We were wondering the exact same thing!

GH is the way to go. Way better songs and the world tour comes with the Guitar, the Drums which have been fixed since first release of this bundle, and comes with the mic.

I have GH Aerosmith and GH III and will be getting the world tour very soon. You will not regret going with GH.

We picked up the $99 Rock Band Special Edition for our Wii, but it is rapped and will be under the tree for another 2 weeks before I can give a review.

Comparison from CrunchGear

LINK
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

I will say that the guitar for GH isn't the easiest but all the choices you get with GHWT are great and if you ever feel you want the guitar from RB you can always find a used one at a pawn shop or even movie trading company for a decent price.

Great article. Thanks. Course now I'm as confused as ever I want the RB2 guitar, the GHWT drums and the GHWT diverse song selection and all for the RB2 $99 price.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Quote Originally Posted by Keifersmith View Post
    Great article. Thanks. Course now I'm as confused as ever I want the RB2 guitar, the GHWT drums and the GHWT diverse song selection and all for the RB2 $99 price.
    Note: Only the original RB can be had for $99 (Marketed as RB Special Edition). RB2 is the same price as GHWT. I would love to see an analysis of ALL the versions of both games in one grid.

I hate to be a but back in the day...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Note: Only the original RB can be had for $99 (Marketed as RB Special Edition). RB2 is the same price as GHWT. I would love to see an analysis of ALL the versions of both games in one grid.
    Thanks for the clarification Titus. I didn't realize that RB special edition wasn't the same as RB2.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Southpark beatcha to it:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Queer-o
    "Stan and Kyle are obsessed with Guitar Hero II. Stan's dad, Randy, is happy that the kids enjoy music from his generation, and attempts to impress them by playing "Carry On Wayward Son" on a real guitar. The kids are not impressed, and Cartman says that "real guitars are for old people.""

I have GH. I like it and it's fun when there's alot of people over. Even though it's Christmas present, I'd say you can't really go wrong with pre-purchased equipment or the game if you're looking for the ultimate TCB price.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

rock band is better, there are more songs available and for $5 you can copy all the songs from the rb1 disc to your console and play them in rb2 like dlc, some 50 tracks for the cost of a rent and copy. gh sucks only because all the songs from gh1-3 you can't play in any game but the one they made them for. you can' play any gh songs in world tour or vis vers.

also the guys that started gh left to make rb, guys making gh now are the tony hawk guy.

Ok, as of today when a freind got RB it could only be found for 99 at a pawn shop anywhere else you are looking at 120 to 130 for it new according to him. I haven't personally checked this out. Now GHWT is still known to have a few issues with it, but can be fixed through downloading the fixes. On the down side the makers are tring to get it pushed that any GH songs created by other players of the game that are online will only be downloadable through subscription. This hasn't been passed yet but this is the word in Gamer Magazine right now.

Now on another note, if you are looking for the latest version of RB being RB2 then it is in fact about the same price as GHWT. Once again the guitar in RB / RB2 is alot easier from what I have once again read about in Gamer Mag., but I personally have GH equipment and once you get use to it, it really isn't that hard and it is a total blast.

The choice is tough but personally I am going to stick with GH just cause I like all the choices of music in the earlier versions and cause you can you the creator and creator your own stuff and have a total blast with it.

Hope this helps out, but I really think you just have to go somewhere like Fry's and try them both out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by amdman View Post
    Ok, as of today when a freind got RB it could only be found for 99 at a pawn shop anywhere else you are looking at 120 to 130 for it new according to him.
    It depends on the platform. Amazon sells the Wii and PS2 versions for $99 + free shipping, while the XBox and PS3 versions are $129 + free shipping. I believe the difference is that the Wii and PS2 versions are not enabled for online play.

As owning both GHIII and the first Rock Band, I prefer Rock Band. I am interested in Rock Band II because of the song count. I have read that there are 500 songs available. Trust me, the more songs the better because you get burnt out on playing the same songs over and over. Even playing the first rock band, the songs became boring fairly quick, even though I had unlocked them all. That being said, I get way more satisfaction from playing a real guitar. Any body need a bass player?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Just an FYI Circuit City Activision Guitar Hero III Wireless Bundle for Wii Price: $47.99

Lightbulb

Well my kid got Guitar Hero Legends of Rock for Wii from and all I can say is it is a stupid game!

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. If there are less musicians in the world that means that I'm better by default.

I'd go with rock band if I had to choose.

Blog Entries

Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.