Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miata Replacment... suggestions?

Default Miata Replacment... suggestions?

Following up my Hauler thread and keeping in the spirit of updating my garage, I'm now looking for suggestions on a replacement for my Miata.

It's not sold yet, in fact I haven't even posted an ad (it's my only vehicle at the moment).

But, I figure it's about time to get something else. It's had a good run and somebody else needs to enjoy it for a while. I'm sure I'll get another in the future.

Again, as with the van I'm looking to spend about $4000, preferably less.

Here's what I need:

1. Reliable

Obviously this is a big issue with me The Miata has given me VERY few issues, and it only stranded me once (when I ran out of gas). I'd like my next car to be somewhere near that level of reliability although I doubt I'll top it.

2. Economical

Another biggie... this will be my new DD, so I need decent mileage for running around the Metromess (my darn hobbies keep me busy). Nothing crazy, but over 30mpg on the freeway is fine.

3. Reasonably sporty

I'm not looking for another autocross car although I wouldn't mind being able to take it to an event now and then to get a fix. 4-door is fine, I just don't want something terribly ugly

No real preference on auto or manual tranny. I can put up with either.

4. Fairly new

Preferably 1999+.

A few I've been looking at... Mitsubishi Lancer, Honda Civic, Eclipse, Celica, blah blah blah (yes, I know they don't fit the definition of "sporty", but whatever).

How's the reliability of Mitsubishi cars? I found a nice 2002 Lancer for $2550 on Craigslist but I know very little about them.... it had 166k, not sure if that's a "scary point" for them or not.

Thanks for any info
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Deja vu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Deja vu
    Say what now?

Last thread I posted was for an Integra replacement to haul airplanes. This is for a DD.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post

How's the reliability of Mitsubishi cars? I found a nice 2002 Lancer for $2550 on Craigslist but I know very little about them.... it had 166k, not sure if that's a "scary point" for them or not.

Thanks for any info
    Interference engine

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/in...cation_id=3598

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    So the first thing to do would be replace the timing belt on a Mitsubishi?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

So the first thing to do would be replace the timing belt on a Mitsubishi?
    Depends on when it was last done. If the seller had documentation proving it had been done recently, say 10 or 20K, I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise I'd be adding in the expense of a TB change as part of the overall cost of the deal. Don't know if it would be worth it on a 160K Mitsubishi.

My past experience with Mitsubishi's would tend to lean with 160k being about the overhaul time on the engine. The 2.6L G54b I-4 and the 3.0 v6 were the engines I had experience with. They were both 80's models and early 90's models.

I would suggest a Nissan Maxima or Toyota Camery if you are looking for longevity in a larger car.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Instead of buying two sub $4k crapwagons, why don't you pool the money from the sale of both cars and buy one nicer, newer, and potentially much lower maintenance vehicle? In the current economic climate, you'd be surprised what you can buy for $8k.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

THat's a WAY too logical idea.......... :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

+1!!

Stupid Monkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    I would suggest a Nissan Maxima or Toyota Camery if you are looking for longevity in a larger car.
    I know you are not looking for new but the Camery we looked at while car shopping had a HUGE trunk. I am not a small man and you could have put 2 of me in there. And with fold down rear seats you could probably put your planes in there without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Instead of buying two sub $4k crapwagons, why don't you pool the money from the sale of both cars and buy one nicer, newer, and potentially much lower maintenance vehicle? In the current economic climate, you'd be surprised what you can buy for $8k.
    I'm with Iain! My suggestion would be a Mazda Protege5. Nice looking car, fun to drive and cheap.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Who pays your insurance?

This might work for you, and may even fit in your budget! Perfect bling for a former mall cop

VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

You mean like the $3200 "crapwagon" Miata that hasn't had an issue, or the $2200 Integra that stranded me only once due to a bad coil?

$4000 can buy a decent vehicle... I need something large to carry planes (and it more than likely won't get great mileage) and something that gets good mileage for a DD. Both are for completely different purposes but both are a safety net in case one of them has issues... which I like, and it's worked for me in the past.

HudsonHawk, did the older Camry have a giant trunk and folding seats like that? It could serve as my small-plane hauler when I'm driving to a more distant event. I've actually looked at them but didn't want to admit to researching 30-year-old-professional-mom-cars

MiataMoto, I'd love a Protege5 but I don't want to spend a pile of money on a single car, nor do I want to go into debt.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

You mean like the $3200 "crapwagon" Miata that hasn't had an issue, or the $2200 Integra that stranded me only once due to a bad coil?
    Dude, you asked for advice. I offered you some. If you don't like it, don't take it. But there's no need to mock me for offering a legitimate suggestion.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Dude, you asked for advice. I offered you some. If you don't like it, don't take it. But there's no need to mock me for offering a legitimate suggestion.
    Sorry I snapped. But when somebody automatically assumes that a sub-$4k car is going to be a "crapmobile" I don't really take it as a compliment considering what I already drive.

Also, I don't know how many people would be willing to hand me the money for the Miata and then wait a few days for me to find another vehicle before turning the car over to them... otherwise I might consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    My past experience with Mitsubishi's would tend to lean with 160k being about the overhaul time on the engine. The 2.6L G54b I-4 and the 3.0 v6 were the engines I had experience with. They were both 80's models and early 90's models.

Thanks for the info. I'll look for something under 100k if I go that direction.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

did the older Camry have a giant trunk and folding seats like that? It could serve as my small-plane hauler when I'm driving to a more distant event. I've actually looked at them but didn't want to admit to researching 30-year-old-professional-mom-cars
    Honestly, I really don't know. I really have never looked at them before this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Honestly, I really don't know. I really have never looked at them before this year.
    Okay. I'll have to check them out.

Or, I could always just buy an NB. I've been craving one for some reason but I can't find one in my price range except for a single green one on Craigslist... and it was automatic
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Okay. I'll have to check them out.

Or, I could always just buy an NB. I've been craving one for some reason but I can't find one in my price range except for a single green one on Craigslist... and it was automatic
    Here is a 96 on craigslist with pics of the trunk. Looks big and it looks like the seats do fold down.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ctd/975453831.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast