Thread: Street Mod Guy Needs Miata Tech Advice

So many cars, so little time. - RIP

Default Street Mod Guy Needs Miata Tech Advice

The M3 is still in the shop and the WRX is waiting for for a replacement Yokohama AVS DB S2 that got wasted.

Been driving the 'Ole Lady's 02 LS for the last few days.

When the car is cold in the am I notice a bit of shudder when releasing the clutch. It did this in the summer too but not as bad as it is now with the colder temperatures. After about 10 minutes of driving everything is fine.

Any ideas? The car still has lots of warranty left. Dealer?

And no, I save my burnouts for competition driving before the starting lights.

Thanks
    Jim H.

There is a service bulletin about this. Print the page at the link below and take it to the dealer.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb05-001.03.html

Yep. The 01+ cars have a TSB for clutch shudder issues. I'd take it to the dealer, and if they can replicate the problem ( ), they should replace the clutch and refinish the flywheel.

Off topic - what's wrong with the uberBimmer this time? :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

For reference, I've always been able to clear mine up with a non-double-clutch downshift to 2nd or two... Just a little something to rub the disc.

Or... you can go get a free clutch from the dealer.

The wife's '02 will do the shudder routine once in a blue moon. She will not allow it to go back to a Mazda dealer to fix it since on its last trip to the dealership they screwed up a simple radio swap. No way we want let some Mazda dealer to pull the transmission to replace the clutch! YMMV

So many cars, so little time. - RIP

Guys, thanks for the help.

I'll take it to a dealer. I bought it at Hillard but I know nothing about their service dept. Who do you recommend for a dealership that can do the work correctly the first time with no hassles??

The M3 blew head gasket #2. Autoscope thinks they have found the problem. They are going to replace the head studs and bolts with Raceware studs and bolts. They are supposed to have 10+ times the clamping power of the stock ones. Guess it was something about another 8+ psi that the M3 didn't like. We'll see. I pick it up later today.
    Jim H.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by SOLO2M3
    Who do you recommend for a dealership
    I don't have first hand experience (yet), but I know a few guys really like Hiley in Arlington. (Not Hurst!)

Stay away from Hiley Hurst. After my radio adventure with them, I'd be terrified to let them do a clutch replacement on my car.

Hey TC what's the name of that dealership way up there in southern Oklahoma ( :P ) that you are always raving about?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw