Thread: SCCA Approved helmets an' such...

Default SCCA Approved helmets an' such...

So the helmet I own is only DOT certified. I'm going to sell it and pick up a SNELL certified helmet... however, I remember altiain mentioned another type of certification or type of helmet I may want to pick up instead. ( I can't tell you how much I hate borrowing helmets.... ugh. ) Anybody? Thanks!

BTW - I had an absolute blast this weekend! Thanks again fellas!

A current helmet will be either Snell M2000 or Snell SA2000. The "SA" variants are approved for use in automobiles. The primary difference is that the SA rated helmets are (more?) fire resistant. M2000 rated helmets are OK for most autocross events and some track events.

Yes... thank you! SA20000. Damn my nearing old age and fading memory... :P

Sunburn is the mark of greatness... that or it just hurts...

Other than the fact that helmets should be replaced every 5 years, one would think the acquisition of an SA20000 helmet would probably be GREAT...

An M2000 HJC helmet can be found new for less than $50... An SA2000 will cost (signifcantly) more, weigh more, and have less ventilation. Choose wisely, young grasshopper, or you, like me, will have one of each...

Sorry I didn't get to ride with you, by the way, but I had to fill in for a timing & scoring position since Clovis chickened out...

Don't worry about it... I took your advice and found the fastest people I could get! Both Iain and John rode with me and I went Solo (ha!) on the last run... damned good way to spend a lot of money... I see an empty wallet in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Don't worry about it... I took your advice and found the fastest people I could get! Both Iain and John rode with me and I went Solo (ha!) on the last run... damned good way to spend a lot of money... I see an empty wallet in my future.
    Yeah, there are a lot of empty wallets around here.

An M2000 or SA2000 helmet is going to be your best bet. You might be able to find a deal on an unused M/SA95 helmet, but buying the latest certification is always a good idea, as it will give you the longest possible life. Having said that, replacing a helmet every four or five years is always a good idea, just as replacing harness belts every three years is a good idea. Things break down or become less effective over time, and safety equipment is never worth skimping on.

The only difference between an M-rated (Motorcycle) and an SA-rated (Special Application) helmet is going to be the construction of the liner. Both are rated to the same impact standards; however, the SA helmet will have a fire retardant liner, while the M helmet will not. The reasoning behind this is that motorcycle riders rarely need to worry about being caught in a burning vehicle, while this certainly can be a consideration for those racing cars.

I personally prefer a closed-face helmet for two reasons - first, they provide more facial protection (and with the visor down, more eye protection) in the event of a frontal impact. Second, in an open cockpit car on the track, I find that with an open helmet (even with sunglasses on), my eyes dry out very quickly form the wind buffeting. However, I do wear contacts, so I tend to be more sensitive to this than those people who have naturally good vision.

Racer Wholesale, Speedware Motorsports, and Helmet City are good places to buy on the web, but with one caveat: helmets are like shoes - different brands fit differently, even in the "same" size. I wouldn't recommend buying a helmet without first trying one on. For example, I was set on buying a Bell M3 last year, until I tried a few Bell models on. They didn't fit the shape of my head, so I ended up with a Simpson Super Bandit, which was a much better fit for me. In the metroplex, Bobby Archer Motorsports in Fort Worth is a good place to go to try before you buy for SA helmets. There is also a place near I-75 and Technology Drive in North Dallas that carries Simpson and Bell helmets, but I can't recall the name offhand. For M helmets, most motorcycle shops carry a range of helmets, although you're more likely to find something useful at a Yamaha or Honda dealer than a Harley shop.

Hope that helps.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yeah, here's a closed face one that would match your car :colors: for about $150. And if that's not cheap enough (are you a member of Team Cheap Bastard?), here's one for just over $80!

Come to think of it, you wanta buy a "gently used" white open face helmet? I'll let mine go for $50.00...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Personally, I like the hybrid of the full face helmet and the open face helmet, like this one...http://soloracer.com/gfforcehybrid.html

I always see those guys with face shields driving around with them open, like they're hot or something.

I like my open face helmet that way you can see just how pretty I am!

Well that and the fact the open was cheaper than the closed when I got mine at nobox.com!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Yeah, here's a closed face one that would match your car :colors: for about $150.
    Forget color schemes - go for a black full face like I did. I find it starts cooking my brain about 10X faster than the white open face I used to use
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region