Thread: Dad runs over toddler, sues Infiniti

Default Dad runs over toddler, sues Infiniti

Horrific story that we heard about here when it happened two months ago; however, this new wrinkle (below) is pretty hard to digest. Figured you might appreciate this classic example of an American "taking responsibility" for his actions...

By DON WALL / WFAA-TV

The family of a Garland girl who was accidentally killed last month when her father ran over her is suing a major car manufacturer for negligence.

On October 9, David Clemens backed up his Infiniti SUV and tragically ran over and killed two-and-a-half-year-old Adrianna.
    Also Online

Video: Don Wall reports

"You just can't imagine the absence that is in our hearts right now with the loss of our daughter," mother Rachel Clemens said. "She rocked our world ... she was everything to us."

The family is suing Nissan, the parent company of Infiniti. They claim new back-up video cameras or sensors which detect objects behind a vehicle were available, and should have been installed in their SUV.

"This manufacturer was already putting it on some of its other vehicles, and it should have put it on this one," attorney Windle Turley said.

In a phone interview with News 8, Nissan/Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore said the child's death was "very sad, very tragic," but added that even when an SUV comes equipped with a back-up video camera, it's not fool-proof.

"It's a convenience; it's not a substitute for proper reversing procedures," Bazemore said. "Drivers should always turn around and look."

"Yes, it's our responsibility, but so many tragic things have happened with children because of that," Rachel Clemens said.

Some research suggests as SUVs get bigger, so does the blind spot to the rear. Consumer groups estimate between 150 and 200 people - mostly toddlers - are killed in back-up accidents every year. Increasingly, consumers are demanding the new technology.

"As you can see, if you had a child laying on a tricycle or bicycle, laying behind you, you would be able to see that sitting in the driveway," said John Boyd of JR's Custom Auto as he demonstrated one of the back-up cameras.

"Our contention is that safety of this nature should not be optional, ever," Turley said.

The Clemens family believes if their SUV had a back-up camera, Adrianna would still be alive.

"She was my pride and joy," Rachel Clemens said. "She was a wonderful two-year-old that always had a smile on her face."

Turley said this is not just a case against Nissan; it's a case against the auto industry.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

As horrible as that is, it just pisses me off how people don't take responsibility for their own actions and stupidity! Cases like these should not even be allowed to enter into our justice system.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    As horrible as that is, it just pisses me off how people don't take responsibility for their own actions and stupidity! Cases like these should not even be allowed to enter into our justice system.
    I agree what a crock of ship...

Would you mind bringing us some happy news 3Bean this kind of stuff really brings me down.

That is just SO wrong! What a jackass
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Sorry buddy... you can imagine what it's like to be in a newsroom... the epi-center of all incoming bad news. That's why I drink so much!
    Wasn't trying to be an Ash-Hoe, but the thought of backing over my kid makes me queasy. I can’t imagine what that family must be going thought it’s got to be a living hell, but to sue Nissan is a load of BS…..

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Wasn't trying to be an Ash-Hoe,
    Not at all.

but the thought of backing over my kid makes me queasy.
    As it would any rational, caring person.

I can’t imagine what that family must be going thought it’s got to be a living hell
    Nor do I.

but to sue Nissan is a load of BS…..
    Agreed. I believe that man is in a severe case of denial.

I agree
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Default Re: Dad runs over toddler, sues Infiniti

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Horrific story that we heard about here when it happened two months ago; however, this new wrinkle (below) is pretty hard to digest. Figured you might appreciate this classic example of an American "taking responsibility" for his actions...

By DON WALL / WFAA-TV

The Clemens family believes if their SUV driver had bothered to make sure that their daughter WAS NOT BEHIND THE VEHICLE BEFORE BACKING UP, Adrianna would still be alive.
    People like this make my blood boil. It is absolutely disgusting how endemic the inability to accept responsibility for one's own actions is in this society. WTF were you doing letting your toddler play behind you're SUV in the first place? Why weren't the parents aware of her whereabouts BEFORE Daddy backed over her? Did it ever occur to Daddy to get out and check for obstacles behind his vehicle BEFORE backing up? What a freakin' concept.

Someone needs to back over Mommy and Daddy with a Mack truck before they can further dilute the gene pool.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Someone needs to back over Mommy and Daddy with a Mack truck before they can further dilute the gene pool.

Atleast they took care of their first attempt to dilute it....

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Quote Originally Posted by altiain

Atleast they took care of their first attempt to dilute it....
    thats wrong, but sadly true.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

The lawsuit is ridiculous, and it should never get to trial. I feel badly for the parents. Even though it is their fault, how can you not understand the pain?

OTH, I know of many cases where the kid was playing on the far side of the yard or even still in the house. The parent waved goodbye, got in the car, and ran over the kid running behind the car as it started backward. Most of them were old enough to know better, but then so am I and I do dumb stuff all the time

We see the multi-car pile-ups scattered all over the freeway, but for fleet vehicles, almost half the wrecks occur when the vehicle is in reverse! And they are in reverse for less than 1% of the total miles driven

This is such a problem that like many companies, my company requires the driver to walk around the vehicle before getting in and driving away. That never makes a difference when a kid or a car moves behind the car after you're in the driver's seat and ready to move. We also have a 4 hour class on how to back safely, when to back, and finally HOW TO AVOID BACKING COMPLETELY. Backing still claims the lion's share of accidents every year. My company logs millions of miles every year, and we have a really good record for the number of miles driven. Last year, the first 27 wrecks we had were all backing Fortunately, none involved children and IIRC none caused any physical injury to anyone.

rant over
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region