Thread: Digital camcorders

Default Digital camcorders

I've been thinking about buying a digital camcorder for awhile to use as a diagnostic tool for autocrossing. Basically, I've been looking for something that I can use to record autocross runs (or track sessions), so that I can analyze them later. I also wanted something small, light, and compact for use in the car. I'd also like a viewscreen, so that I can look over the video trackside, if necessary. Of course, I'm also a cheap bastard, so it can't be expensive, either.

While I was watching a movie earlier today, I saw a Radio Shack ad for this digital camcorder. With the rebate, it's only $150, which warms my cheap bastard heart. I know I'll probably need to buy additional memory for it, but even then I figure I could have the system set up to meet my needs for around $200-250, which is around the price of a cheap Hi-8 camera.

I honestly don't plan to use a camcorder for much else besides recording in-car footage, so I'm not hugely concerned about image quality or sound, etc. I've also got a 5 megapixel Olympus still camera already, so the quality or features available in still mode on a digital camcorder mean nothing to me. I'd prefer a remote, but I can live without one. Heck, for less than $200, I wouldn't be averse to taking the camera apart and soldering in wiring to plug into my own car-mounted remote "start recording" button.

However, I'm curious how much recording time a 1-gig SD memory card would net me at 640x480 picture size and 15fps? Any of the resident techies know? Or does anyone have any better ideas? I'd prefer digital over analog, because I don't want to have to jack around with analog tapes. In fact, that's the primary reason I haven't bought a cheap or used Hi-8 camcorder already.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

i dunno, my parents bought a cannon that does digital and digital tape or whtever on the little tape, but it was $850. has a nice picture, though i havent mounted it in the car yet... i have seen similar cameras in cars, using an I/O Port roll bar mount and the picture is smooth and clean, even during impacts. it has a bushing that allows enough flex but not too much.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

That Canon model probably has the image stabilization feature that the cheaper cameras won't have.

That means your picture will be much more bouncy with the cheaper cameras.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

yes indeed it has the image stabiliation, and it rocks.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

The problem with the remote on my camera is that the camera keeps shutting down before I'm ready to start recording. A battery saving feature that I have not managed to override so far. I just push start before I leave grid and let it run until I'm back.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Try rigging up a DC power supply from the car to the camera... Many cameras will stay on longer (if not indefinately) when powered from a source other than battery.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

If you're recording with a camcorder that is mounted to the car, stay with one that has a good image stabilizer. I believe the Canon IS works for both optical and digital zoom while the Sony is only for the digital zoom (the first 10X is usually optical and digital zoom beyond).

Also stay with a memory type of camcorder and not the DV tapes or CD/DVD as the tape/CD/DVD transport doesn't like the jarring effect of the car.

On the plus side, the DV tapes record in DVD quality

John

i dont know the model number of ours, but it does have optical and digital zoom
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C