Thread: thermostat for track? remove or 160 degree?

Suspension Modder

Default thermostat for track? remove or 160 degree?

For you guys that run track dedicated cars, do you run thermostats? The last time out on the track, my 1.8 NA was running a little hotter than I prefer (210-215) on about an 80 degree day. I'm taking the reading off of the heater return hose. I'd like to see it no higher than 190 given that it isn't even summer yet. One of the spec miata shops I talked to recommended that I remove the thermostat altogether. Another miata shop recommended that I go with a 160 degree thermostat (I have no idea what is in it now, I assume OEM which I *think* is 192?). I already have a Koyo aluminum radiator. What do you guys run in your normally aspirated track miatas? Is there any drawback to not running a thermostat in a track car? I do drive it to the track and back sometimes.
    Greg H.
    2002 Spec Miata

First off, we've done some comparisons on locations for the sensor, and the heater hose is not accurate. It tends to run hotter due to the proximity of the exhaust manifold. Up front gives you a more accurate reading. That said, I run with a thermostat, but with the guts removed. You get some restriction that way, but the water always flows. I know some SM guys run without anything, but I learned long ago that there is not enough heat removal in the radiator when the flow is too fast. With the KOYO, it might not matter......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Suspension Modder

I had installed the temp sender on the heater hose because I wanted to read the water temp where it is highest (coming off the head). I hadn't thought about the exhaust manifold effect. I was told that the heater hose temperature runs about 3 - 5 degrees higher. Does that sound right? I do have the trackdog racing exhaust manifold heatshield installed (done by the previous owner). Don't know if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by TR6; 01-15-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Greg H.
    2002 Spec Miata

We saw 20-25 degrees but the fitting was a pretty massive heat sink, so it may have been worse than normal. I know nothing about Gary's heat shield. My thought is that, unless you're forced induction, the factory heat shield is as good as it gets. Mazda always does their research and we've tried enough things to try and improve on their designs with miniml success. Besides, we can't change the heat shield in SM. Now ceramic coating.....that would be nice!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Suspension Modder

Does anyone know at what water temperature the electric fan comes on? I'm seeing the fan kick on when my gauge shows an indicated 210* and it cuts off after it drops to about an indicated 200*. This might give me a clue as to what my "real" water temp is when my gauge says 210.
    Greg H.
    2002 Spec Miata