Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Clutch install 01-24-2009

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Do you have a 55-gal drum we can burn some trash in for warmth?
    I think Bean is coming. If he brings the BUR, will that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I think Bean is coming. If he brings the BUR, will that work?
    Awesome... I even found a sign for your swear jar...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Not many people have actually requested directions.... if you want to come out, send a PM tonight. I likely will not be back on the computer until early tomorrow morning, so I will try my best to answer any PMs then.

P.S.- people are welcome to hang out and shoot some pool in the house after the car is done... or if we get cold and are sick of watching William work.... either way, BYOB.

I definately plan on being there. I will be driving the truck until I get the heater core fixed in the miata. Any tools/jacks/stands/etc you need me to bring?

As far as I know, the only thing we are lacking is a variety of extensions. I bought some used S.O. ones off of ebay but Brown Santa has decided not to deliver them until Monday. If we ended up needing something, there is a well stocked Mom and Pop Hardware store that is literally a stones throw away, and they will be open.

By the way, it is currently 74 degrees in the shop. Lets hope it holds some of the heat.

Good suggestion on the jack but I don't want to buy a $66 jack I won't need again for some time.

As far as tools, I borrowed some recommended extensions, a breaker bar, impact swivel sockets and a small impact gun from boisking. I also have extensions.

I am considering buying a cheap heater for tomorrow. As the shop is small, I'm sure a small heater will help.

I will pick up some degreaser for cleaning all the parts up and I have some stiff brushes since it will likely be pretty grimy in the bell housing. Titus has a power washer too. That will be the c-c-cold part of the job. I think I'll bring my FedEx supplied rain suit for that one

I have some tie down straps for the motor, rubber gloves and a pair of mechanics gloves too.

My big question is if it might be better to do the job on jack stands as they will likely offer better access to the underneath than Titus' lift.

I also have new gear oil and a pump, brake fluid for the clutch bleeding,
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I have a decent 3/8" air ratchet I can bring, as well as a MityVac to bleed the clutch.

EDIT: I also threw in my 1/2" impact wrench just in case... we've got air out there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    My big question is if it might be better to do the job on jack stands as they will likely offer better access to the underneath than Titus' lift.
    Would it be too unstable to put the car on jack stands on top of the lift? Just think of all that room...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 01-23-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Car is packed. Tools are packed. Ready to go!

I also picked up a 1500 watt small industrial space heater from Wally World. It should help.

If anyone wants to bring another creeper it might help.

...and across the line.

Thumbs up

Well that took for friggin ever! Thanks to all who stuck around to help out. I absolutely could not have done it without you.

We had me, Titus of course who was very generous to let me use his shop and tools. HudsonHawk who was a huge help, creek was also a big big help. Nails for his heater and errand running for bolts we didn't even need, trickyrix for running for exhaust gaskets while his pizza got cold, juxt3r for his patient tranny scrubbing, Nexus Flux for his retrieval if a new header and trackdog for his assistnce in getting me the JR header.

I'm sure I forgot a bunch of stuff but I'm tired and I'm going to bed.

Love to all my Miata buddies who helped out. You rock. You can all get a spin in the black widow once her clutch gets broken in.
    ...and across the line.

Glad to see you found your keys... again.

That was one hell of an undertaking! Paul, John - you guys are friggin workhorses!

How did everything drive on the way home? Given that your car should now be about 50 pounds lighter (from degreasing), it ought to be a little peppier...

When Todd called with the key question right after I left, my heart jumped and I started patting myself down frantically (weaving down Lavon Highway) - hoping I somehow didn't get hold of 'em!

Steve, how 'bout that drunk dude in the Camry on the way home? Well, I say drunk, but I guess he could've been receiving a "special favor" from a lady friend. He was a little touch-n-go getting on to the Bush, hence my burst of speed to get around him, and the shift into warp-drive to stay far, far ahead...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 01-25-2009 at 02:41 AM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

you are welcome. Wow that was a pita. But it all went back together and we only had a few left over parts.

Well, what did the old clutch look like? Worn? Spotted Flywheel? Pile of dust? Is the new clutch the fix for the problem you were experiencing?
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

The clutch material was basically non-existant on one side of the disc. The other side was almost gone. The rear main seal was leaking prety bad too.

Congrats!

Steve, how 'bout that drunk dude in the Camry on the way home? Well, I say drunk, but I guess he could've been receiving a "special favor" from a lady friend. He was a little touch-n-go getting on to the Bush, hence my burst of speed to get around him, and the shift into warp-drive to stay far, far ahead...
    Swervy swervy...and he took the next exit, thank goodness. At one point, the dude actually moved completely into the middle lane, then promptly meandered back into the right lane. Friggin' jackhole.

William, nice to have you back on the road and not changing gears by gripping the rivets in the friction disc. You can clean my transmission case anytime! Hey, it's just lying on the floor waiting for some loving caresses.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

William, did you stall it out? That new fly wheel was about 1/3 the weight of the stock on.

Glad to see you found your keys... again.

When Todd called with the key question right after I left, my heart jumped and I started patting myself down frantically (weaving down Lavon Highway) - hoping I somehow didn't get hold of 'em!
    He had left them in the trunk lock.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    William, did you stall it out? That new fly wheel was about 1/3 the weight of the stock on.
    He stalled backing off the lift. We both laughed. He was fine after that.

Ugh....

I am soooooo sore. I took heavy duty drugs before going to bed. You can tell we were tired because we were getting silly towards the end.

The car drives great but the starter did make a weird sound twice when trying to start but then works fine when tried again. I'll monitor that one.

I can't wait until 500 miles is up and I can stop babying it. It does take some getting used to as I did stall it twice after that. Trina is going to love driving it. It is a rev happy beastie. Glad I won't have to replace that clutch again anytime soon.
    ...and across the line.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast