Thread: sputtering misfire............

Default sputtering misfire............

[COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]My [COLOR=#009600 ! important]car[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    was running fine then i went into Walmart came out and started it and it was sputtering or maybe a misfire. Would it be possible to jump a tooth on the [COLOR=#009600 ! important][COLOR=#009600 ! important]timing [COLOR=#009600 ! important]belt I replaced it 10,000 miles ago[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    . I think its an ignition problem though at some points on the highway (i had to make it home) it would pull and smoothin out. Would the best way to check would be to start the car and pull out the plugs and check for diff correct? Any ideas? The sputter is really bad. The car is a stock 1990 1.6
    Thanks
    http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/hjgl-1-1.jpg
    MONSTER TRUCK! ready to be dropped....

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    NGK blues!
    +1!

Swap the plugs that will solve my problem? Its a real bad misfire like barely drivable.....

NGK Blues = Plug Wires

When it happened to me, new spark plugs helped some, but it also took new wires to fix it 100%. Get new wires and plugs.

The Miata is famous for eating spark plug wires. The ignition system fires an extra pulse down each wire during odd parts of the 4 cylinder cycling. This, combined with the heat from where the wires are routed, ends up shortening the lives of the wires.

Oil leaks from the valve cover gasket will shorten the lives even more. If the boots are wet then replace that gasket.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Blog Entries

Yep...plug wires fixed mine too. Everything but a slight hesitation off idle which a bottle of Techron cured. Don't crank or run the car with a plug wire ungrounded unless you want a new coil pack too.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Question Custom Performance wire set or Powercable racing wire?

I need to replace mine. looking on the NGK website they show a custom performance premium wire set for $34.95 and their Powercable racing wire set on sale for $83.16.

Is it worth the extra $$ for the Powercable set? mainly a daily driver and a little AX so I'm guessing the little bit of extra performance probably isn't worth more than twice the price. Also wasn't sure if these would be more likely to cause radio interference and noise.

If I decide I'm adverse to the color blue is there a recommended set available in red?

Thanks,
    Keith
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Keifersmith View Post
    Is it worth the extra $$ for the Powercable set?
    In a word, no.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keifersmith View Post
    If I decide I'm adverse to the color blue is there a recommended set available in red?

Thanks,
    Keith
    When you gotta have red:http://www.trackdogracing.com/websit...plug_wires.htm
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

You should go with a nice set from a local chain that offers free lifetime replacements.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

As others said, try plugs and wires first as this is the most likely issue. Have you washed your engine or washed under the hood in the last two weeks? If so, you probably got water in the spark plug holes. Sometimes it takes a while to burn up the wires with water in there, other times it acts up immediately.

If that doesn't get it, do you have the original engine? Because it could be the infamous "short nose crank" issue, but lets hope not.

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Wires it was problem fixed thanks guys!

Let me get this straight MooseMonkey, changing the plug wires fixed your problem? What I've got happening sounds like what you had.

I had an issue 3-4 weeks ago with some water on the top of the engine, I was flushing the radiator and I have a 6 year old and she was trying to "help". I pulled the boots and placed a fan over the engine to dry everything out, pulled and cleaned the plugs, sprayed WD40 on the appropriate areas to drive out water.

I was running fine until a few days ago then noticed a slight stumble and hesitation every so often. Never could find anything out of place. This morning on the tollway all of sudden it turned to utter crap on me and felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. Got to work and everything was down tight, no apparent problems.

I had to get it home from work this afternoon and it would stumble heavily until I got above 40 or so then it would smooth out some. It was running so bad that I even had to "baby" the clutch to get through first gear at stop lights.

Plug wires were replaced .......3 years ago? Hopefully that is my fix tomorrow...

NGK Blues last 30k, 'Zone lifetime last maybe 2 weeks.
    But you can get a new set every 2 weeks, right?

Sounds funny, but it happened!

NGK blues and NGK plugs, and a bottle of Techron Concentrate. Try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    NGK Blues last 30k, 'Zone lifetime last maybe 2 weeks.
    But you can get a new set every 2 weeks, right?

Sounds funny, but it happened!

NGK blues and NGK plugs, and a bottle of Techron Concentrate. Try it!
    I did try it and it worked, runs as smooth as it ever has. Thanks for the heads up.